Giving Back: Lingonberry seeds

Greensburg, PA

After a few rough starts, Dave's traders have always been good to me. I have a limited quantity of Lingonberry var Ida seed (not extracted from the fruit yet) for postage or trade. One or two fruits would contain enough seeds to start a number of plants. If interested d-mail me your postal address. I'll send you a new bubble envelope with a small quantity of Ida seeds. You will need to ferment and extract the seed. Fresh seed, properly handled, will start plants that will overwinter indoors this year and be large enough to pot up for outside in the spring. I would ask you reimburse postage in the form of Forever stamps after you receive the seeds. Keep the envelope.

I am actively looking for unusual edible seeds or plants, Hen & Chicks named varieties, oxalis and EE's I don't have, seed or plants. I have a number of unusual things to offer as trade besides the lingonberry. You do not have to do a trade to get the lingonberry but quantity is limited.

If interested, let's talk.

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

awww poop. Where were you a couple days ago when I ordered seeds from Northern Ontario...Cost me $ 8.00CAD.

Greensburg, PA

Not sure I could ship to Canada anyway. Timing in life is alway important :)

To answer your question, I was stuck at work doing 12 hour days to try to get a project done by deadline.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

can i have a few for postage please

Lingonberry: like Swedish?

If Swedish, I'd love some. My great g-ma was full Swedish. I don't think I have anything that isn't promised for the unusual edible seeds...can't remember anything. Unless you'd like a few pomegrante seeds...is that unusual enough?

I also have some flower seeds, including regular Yucca, Red (aka Pink) Yucca, Hardy Pink Hibiscus (might be edible...don't know if all Hibiscus petals can be made into tea...haven't researched that).

Thanks!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Me too please. Can send you some turmeric tubers if your interested. You already have the type oxalis I have.

Greensburg, PA

Please d-mail me your addresses. Lingonberries are common/popular in Scandanavian countries. No trade necessary.

To start lingonberry seed (what I do, others may work), soak/ferment fruit (crushed or whole) for several weeks. Crush fermented fruit and stir vigorously. Good seeds sink. Pour off junk (carefully - seeds are very small). Plant seeds on surface (do NOT cover seeds) of 50/50 peat/fine sand. Do not put too many seeds in a single container. I like to use quart clear plastic containers and only fill 1/3 full (leaves room for plant to grow). Be sure medium is damp but not wet. Seal container in plastic bag, to maintain even humidity and expose to light. Wait for germination, which could take two weeks as a minimum, but as much as two months. Keep seedlings in container in bag until 4-5" tall, then carefully separate, plant in additional containers with sand/peat mixture, seal in bags, keep inside first year. In spring, carefully xplant to larger containers as appropriate - be sure to harden off before xplanting as changes in temp, light and humidity can kill young plants. As long as containers are in bags, seedlings do not need a lot of attention or water.

You will receive fresh seed which does not need stratification to germinate.

I'll post a pic of some plants I started from seed last year with this method in the next couple of days..

DeRidder, LA(Zone 9a)

If you have a few more seeds I would love to try a few. Thanks for sharing!

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

lol. krowten, I have a question to ask: how is your germination rate from seeds? are they easy to propagate? and if they are what are you soil requirements? I've read that it has to be acidic, but they're just articles..kinda want to ask somebody who has first hand experience with these berries.

Eliz

Greensburg, PA

I'd say about 50%, but survival of all of the seedlings the way I grow them is not that great. I tend to put too many seeds in a container, then lose some during transplants. 50/50 peat/sand works well for the first year. High peat content is the key, I think.

These are easy - just require patience. I'm expecting seedlings from last year to start fruiting maybe next year, judging from size of plants.

Madison, WI

I'd love some to add to my edible landscape effort :)

Greensburg, PA

Hi, all. Just want to say that I expect to ship the seeds this Friday - was attacked by projects at work and doing long days there.

Greensburg, PA

Sorry, was just called back to work on Friday, which was supposed to be a day off. Will not be able to get to the post office.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Sure know how them days go. Work is more important in these days and time right now.

Greensburg, PA

Thanks for understanding.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

when you get chance

No problem. Work helps supports our gardens. LOL.

Whenever it works for you. Lots of folks have given me mercy; I'm glad to share some.

:-)

April

Madison, WI

I was going to winter sow some of the seeds, so time is not a problem at all.
Hope your project gets done. We are in a crunch right now too. I work for the University so
the end of summer/beginning of fall is the time of tightest deadlines that are watched
from many high places quite close :)

Greensburg, PA

Seed shipped today

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.