Blaumeise

Kannapolis, NC

Here's my H. Blaumiese blooming earlier in the summer. I just haven't been able to download it and get it posted.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Very nice blue and nice healthy looking plant. I haven't heard of that one before, but of course being north we only have limited varieties at our nurseries.

Kannapolis, NC

Thank you, Medinac. I bought it at Lowe's as a sale plant for $5, almost dead looking, but brought it home, planted it, pruned it back hard and it's done beautifully. It's one of my favorites. I'm going to try to do some rooting of it to use in other places in the yard.

Stewart, TN

You got the Blaumeise at a Lowe's? It's gorgeous.

Kannapolis, NC

Yep. Occasionally you can get good stuff at Lowe's. Got a Gertrude Jekyll DA rose there this year, not on sale, though!

Stewart, TN

As you probably know, Glyn Church in her book on "Complete Hydrangeas" suggests using "Blaumeise" instead of "Blue Wave" if your soil is not "dependably acidic." I am in the process of having my soil tested and so am not sure yet what we have. Depending on the results, I hope to plant a hydrangea hedge, and the blue lace caps are my favorite.

Could you tell me a little more about your experience with the "Blaumeise" - growth rate, site selection, flowering, etc.,? It would be very helpful in making a choice. Also, have you had a problem with deer eating the plant? Thank you in advance. Rebecca in Middle Tennessee (zone 7)

Kannapolis, NC

It's been a great specimen. Dependably hardy, although I do have it tucked into a corner so it's relatively protected. Blossoms are very blue and it's just gorgeous in bloom. Grew rapidly and is now about 4-5 feet in height. That's in about 4 years, but I've pruned some over those years. No problem with deer since we don't have them in Kannapolis, which is where I'm now located. I'm very happy with it and will try to propagate it and put it in other spots around my yard.

Stewart, TN

How long does it bloom?

Kannapolis, NC

Several weeks starting in June. It's usually blooming at the same time as most of my daylilies in the same bed and makes a nice backdrop for them.

Stewart, TN

So lovely - thank you.

Starkville, MS

Can someone suggest what -----how much----and when----to put on hydrangeas to develop a deep blue color?

Shirleyd
zone 7b

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Shirleyd - Most people use Aluminum Sulfate. I haven't used it in a long time so I don't know how much but I'm sure the package will tell you have much, probably by foot of growth. I've read on other threads that it is best mixed with water and watered into the the drip line of the plant in Spring.

I've misplaced my Epsoma flipchart (smacking myself in the head) that shows all their products... they offer something different but I cannot recall what. Once I have a chance to look harder, I can let you know. My neighbor just spread it around the plant and it worked fine for her rather than mixing and watering it in.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Just make sure not to add more aluminum sulfate than what the package directs--too much aluminum can be toxic to plants.

Raleigh, NC

Glad to see this pic, as somewhere amongst 5 Hydrangea plants I've got Blaumeise. You know, the usual story....lost the tag!! Not all bloomed this year, as they are small and its their first year out of pots, but hoping for next year.

Kannapolis, NC

Yotedog: It took mine a couple of years to get going, 'cause it was a neglected plant I bought on sale at Lowe's for $5, practically dead, poor thing, but just look at it now! I brought it home, fed it, pruned back all the dead growth and let it start leafing out before planting it in the ground. It's done so well.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's a photo of the tag on mine.

Thumbnail by pirl
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

shirleyd - Sorry it took so long to get back to you. The other Espoma product is Garden Sulfur which they say is safer than aluminum sulfate. I know you need to be careful when using this though too. Their rate is 1 tsp. per plant. I think if it were me I'd start with 1/2 that dose and see what happens.

Stewart, TN

I just planted five Teller Blue Blaumeise lacecap hydrangeas here in Middle Tennessee, Zone 7. Hoping for a hedge eventually.

Kannapolis, NC

Good for you, Rebecca! You'll love them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.