Compost Ring Garden in BH&G ca. 1973

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Years ago my mother used to plant a "Ring Garden" following the directions she found in (I think) Better Homes & Gardens around 1973 (maybe as late as '79).

The center of the ring was a compost bin and the total square footage for the garden was 9-foot by 9-foot.

Around the compost bin of chicken wire, you would plant X# of tomatoes, roses, clematis, pole beans, etc. then other things in the next ring, and lower growers in the outer ring.

I just wondered if anyone does this or recalls/has the article. I have been wanting to plant a couple, but cannot for the life of me find the photocopies I had of the article.

I don't remember how many of which plant to place where, hence my dilemma.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2008 2:36 PM

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry I can't help.. but it sure sounds interesting!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hope you find it, it does sound interesting. Maybe you can email or write to B & G and ask them if they have a back copy of the issue if you remember the month. usually companies like that keep a copy or two aroudn in their archives.

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

How interesting! You must check out this thread and the youtube video. This is about a "Keyhole" garden. The idea is for peole without many resources to be able to grow some of their food. It is basically the same idea as you describe - a small garden with a compost bin in the middle - except it is built up with stone, has access to the compost in the middle so it can be "fed" and watered.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/872865/

I don't know your original article/idea of the "ring garden." I'd try it! Why don't you try sketching it out on graph paper, then you can custom design it using whatever vegetables you want to grow.

thanks for sharing this great idea!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I am not even sure it was in BH&G. But, my best guess it that it was.

What I liked is that it was planned so different things supported other things as they grew, etc. It combined flowers and vegetables together to help one another, in a way.

I might have to go to the library (GASP!) reference section and look in some online periodical indexes to find it, as I am sure one of them must have it indexed.

Good thing I got that college education after all, eh??!!!??

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

There is something, VERY similar on the Internet, to what you've described
when you search "Google" for "Japanese ring, tomatoes".

Elgin, TX

http://www.jerseybites.com/2008/06/tomato-ring.html

Japanese tomato ring garden. I remember seeing them years ago.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

The tomato rings are similar, however, this particular ring garden was an entire vegetable garden.

Including cukes, zukes, climbing and bush beans, peas, tomatoes, lettuces, radishes, broccoli, etc. ..... everything .... along with some climbing roses, clematis, marygolds, and some others. I remember we planted a bunch of rows of corn between the two ring gardens.

It was very specific as to what grew where so that everyone got the right amount of light and support.

I am tearing the house apart trying to find the photocopy I have of that article.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Victorians were fond of ring gardens. The plopped a tiered garden in the center of their lawns. They liked exotics as the tall centerpiece--bananas, castor beans etc...don't recall veggie ones but I'm sure some did.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Japanese tomato ring garden sounds interesting, but instead of a ring how about a rectangle, maybe 2 ft by 6 or 8 ft.
Having the compost right in the garden would save work and it could be planted around with a different plant in the fall for winter.
Think I'll give it a try.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Look in th eplace you would least expect to find it. LOL

Gavid Paul.. Interestign about the Victorians. Have to google and do some reading up on that.

I hope ya find it, cuz I have thousands upon thousands of hikory and oak leaves that come down every year and it impossible to get them all raked and I usually just rake and leave in piles everywhere to decompose. Would be nice if I could make thes epiles and then have something pretty and useful planted around them.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

As soon as I find that article, I will start a thread describing the process.

It really is a great way to get high yield out of small spaces (I believe the garden is 9-foot by 9-foot)

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Even if you had a larger garden (I have a 20 x30) I could have a couple rings and rotate my crops each year.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

That's what I usually did, rentman, planted two ring gardens.

Years ago, I raised the veggie beds and used railroad ties which are about 9'6" long each, and made square beds out of them.

They work awesomely, however, now, years later, I want to use them in that way again, and lo, wouldn't you know .... misplaced the directions!!

Once I find them, or go to the Library and get another copy, I will start a thread on it, as I hope this will be of interest to others. In light of current fresh veggie prices and the economy in general, it is CRAZY to NOT have SOME form of VICTORY garden. (Well, at least for poor folk, like me) ;-)

Besides, around Feb, or March, when everyone is REALLY itchin' to get their hands dirty again, we can all start our plans and seedlings together.

Frankfort, KY(Zone 6a)

Willie, you and I are on the same page, I have 31qts of tomatoes, many pickles, and will pickle some Banana peppers to day.
And I do like trying differ way of doing things

Thumbnail by rentman
Austin, TX

This is very late, but maybe some are still interested. The article was in Family Circle 1979. I have done 2 with some success, not like the drawing. May try a modified keyhole soon.

Thumbnail by laluz2 Thumbnail by laluz2 Thumbnail by laluz2
Los Angeles, CA

Quote from WNYwillieB :
Years ago my mother used to plant a "Ring Garden" following the directions she found in (I think) Better Homes & Gardens around 1973 (maybe as late as '79).

The center of the ring was a compost bin and the total square footage for the garden was 9-foot by 9-foot.

Around the compost bin of chicken wire, you would plant X# of tomatoes, roses, clematis, pole beans, https://nobullshitseeds.com etc. then other things in the next ring, and lower growers in the outer ring.

I just wondered if anyone does this or recalls/has the article. I have been wanting to plant a couple, but cannot for the life of me find the photocopies I had of the article.

I don't remember how many of which plant to place where, hence my dilemma.

This message was edited Aug 8, 2008 2:36 PM

Sorry I can't help.. but it sure sounds interesting!

This message was edited Jun 12, 2020 12:02 AM

Northeast , TX

I am interested laluz2! Thanks so much for posting! I'm doing only raised beds now but I can see how this list of vegs/flowers could be adapted to a low level keyhole garden. Which I have wanted to try. So this list and pictures are VERY useful to me. :)

(Zone 7b)

I have done that. I learned it from Organic Gardening magazine before 1982. It works if you want to dedicate cut lawn grass to the bin. I made an octaganal box around the bin for planting. Tomatoes close in, peppers and marigolds on the outer rim.

It was even still there 20 years later after I left by Google Earth pics.

I don't do it now because I leave the grass mulched on the lawn. But it does work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.