Need recommenation for monarda - full sun

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello! I've never grown Monarda, but would like to get some this fall. I know it's better suited for partial shade and is not drought-tolerant, and is prone to mildew. In spite of the obstacles, I still want to try. Can anyone recommend a monarda in the 15" range that would do okay in full sun in GA? Color-wise, I'm not sure because I don't even know yet exactly where I would put it! Thanks!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi. I did not know Monarda was suited to part shade. The 'Raspberry Wine' one I have in that situation doesn't seem to do as well as the others in sun, but I haven't tried to grow the same cultivar in the 2 types of exposure.

I have a pink "petite wonder" bee balm that is only about a foot tall and so cute. It was in the sun but later has been shaded somewhat by an overexcited Copper Fennel. It's mildew resistant. That's the only short CV I'm familiar with, Good luck!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

My experience with Monardas (bee balms) is that they need a minimum full sun exposure but do not need, or want, all day scorching in our climate. I've found them to be pretty drought tolerant, once established, but they need a bit more attention the first year or two.
I've grown "Raspberry Wine" well in four to six hours (depending on the season) of full sun. I'm not familiar with "petite wonder", but trust Cedar's advice here. Once they do their flower thing I think they look ratty. Are there other opinions on this?
Laurel

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the recommendations! I will definitely give at least one variety a try this fall.

MaypopLaurel, I think you said you used to live in Winnona Park? That's such a charming area. I live in the Leafmore/Oak Grove area, near Toco Hills - land of the over-priced ranch houses!

Yes we did live there for ten years. A tiny 900 s.f house with a tiny yard. I learned to garden there. I started with a few marigolds around the mailbox and after a few years had dug up much of the front yard. I called it "food among the flowers" because I started planting veggies as part of the design. We used to get "Yard of the Month" from the neighborhood garden club at least once a year. I spent years collecting perennials from our travels. We sold the house to a bachelor who covered the entire yard in black plastic, pine bark and planted creeping junipers all over. I was heartbroken. On a brighter note, we were a close group of neighbors and it was a happy, safe place to start a family. Block parties, progressive dinners, and pot lucks were frequent. The kids ran around in the streets and in and out of everyone's houses. Good memories.
L

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Laurel! I am seeing new growth on my Raspberry Wine where I cut it back and the hummingbirds really like it (they have such good taste in color). I need to look closer at Petite Wonder. The foliage looks good so I did not consider cutting it back since it's so short. However, maybe it's liking the part shade from the big fennel.

I did cut back Blue Stocking and watered it well today and fertilized it hoping for rebloom. I have planted this Bee balm in locations hundreds of feet from the house where it gets little attention and they survive and bloom.

I sympathize Laurel with the 'old house' syndrome. We had that happen too when we sold our house in Cardinal Lake in Duluth. Our neighbors even called us to whine together! Their view was ruined!

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I started my first garden 8 years ago and lived in that house (our first) for 5 years. We sold it to a bachelor who didn't even own a lawnmower. Then he got transferred and the house is now a rental house. I drive by at least once a week, and I know I would cry if I could see the back yard! We moved during the heat of summer, and since I didn't know the light/soil situation at our new house, I felt like I couldn't take stuff with me. At least the rhodedendron (sp?) my now-deceased grandmother gave me is still thriving there!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

It's been my experience that revisiting a house & flower garden that you loved and tended with care is a recipe for disaster. Almost always a heart breaker.

Hi psychw2, glad you joined us. Come on in. I didn't mention that we ripped the roof off that house, added another 900 s.f. and spent eight years hand crafting the interior. The guy that bought it saw it and wrote a check, on the spot, for our asking price! So, we've now been doing the same thing for twenty two years in our Atlanta house and nineteen years in our cottage (the later is sloooow).

Cedar (Pam), you're the pro here. :)

I used to be a big perennial gardener, but see garden and outdoor space as more fluid entities now. I've learned with Maypop that if it's left to it's own devices it will return to the wild in no time. I now view myself as a temporary tenant and custodian, carving out small space for whimsy. Maybe that is by definition "getting old and running out of steam". lol Here's a bit of our Atlanta house design.

Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

erdooley- I would recommend 'Claire Grace'. It's mildew resistent. Here's the link to the Plant files. All of the shots are from my garden I donate to the database.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80748/

And a pic of the same plant from my garden:

Thumbnail by
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Rebecca! That's a beautiful plant, and it's a variety I had been thinking about after doing more research. You're in a similar zone as me, so hopefully it will grow well here too!

Evans, GA(Zone 7b)

As we are on the topic of bee balm - I have three varieties - don't know the names but I believe they are pink, lilac and red. The pink and lilac have never bloomed - and this year the red isn't blooming either. I wonder if it has been our lack of precipitation?

I have three varieties too (so I'm told). Italian, German and native...

Laurel

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel, looks like you're in the bee business now! Good luck. Did the person remove the bees for keeping them in the hive they brought or did you have to pay for the service?
Pam

Pam, this story is so complicated. Yes we are paying and yes he wants them in the hive. Beekeepers aren't removing for free anymore. He could not find the queen, so he left the hive with chunks of comb and honey to lure them. He then cleaned the remaining comb and honey out of the chimney walls. Well, they flew up into a nearby tree. So, he got a gun and tried to shoot them out. We had another bee guy do this once and it worked great. Next he cut down the tree (it was a wild cherry, so no loss), but they swarmed again and went to a neighboring tree. He then relocated his hive to the rear of the garden and started feeding them sugar water twice a day. They are drinking the water, checking out the hive, but not staying. Now, southern hostess that I am, I reported that they are running out of food after a few hours. I am now dressing in the bee suit to do interim bee feedings. He just called and is on his way for the p.m. feeding. I've got such a headache! I didn't realize they would be taking down the fireplace with jackhammers! Been going non stop since this morning. Gotta run. I'll keep you posted.
L

Rebecca, the Monarda that you posted is gorgeous! I love the monardas, but they do get bad mildew. I'm experimenting with milk sprays this year. Want to say it's working, but I'm not positive yet.

Day two of jackhammering and I have decided to ignore the new view.
Laurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.