Search for Allee' Tree. ideas? Taiwanese/ Formosan cherry?

Fort Worth , TX(Zone 8b)

Does anyone have experience with this tree? I am looking for a small(ish), preferably deciduous, flowering, single/straight-trunked tree with a pretty form, for an allee. That's a lot of qualifications, isn't it!

I'm considering the upright sort of pear tree -- and my safe, default choice is a Savannah Holly, even thought it's evergreen. The berries and shape are nice. I do like the bare branches of allee trees in the winter as long as they have a nice form.

The trees can't get too tall or wide in my space. 15 feet tall and 12 to 15 wide would be the perfect size.

If anyone has an idea they wouldn't mind sharing, I would really appreciate it.
thanks

Salem, OR(Zone 5a)

Based on what I know about trees that are grown in Southern California nurseries, Crimson Pointe Columnar Plum should be a good candidate. It has white to light pink flowers, Purple/ Green foliage due to it being a sport off Newport Plum, and can take long boughts of heat, but also cold. It's a strong grower and makes a terrific low branch tree if you cut it down a few times and bring it up from there.

Thumbnail by johnnyvino
Fort Worth , TX(Zone 8b)

Jonnyvino, Thank you so much for telling me about this tree, and for attaching the photo. I've never seen it before. It sounds like something I'd definitely be interested in, and it does sound quite tough. Our summer weather is a killer. The spot I'm working with, for the allee, is part shade and well-protected in general.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.