"Moriage"- on "Nippon" porcelain..some pieces!

Tampa, FL

As promised on the "Teacup" (dragonware) thread, here are some pieces that have brought the fine application of liquid clay to an artistic level...all of these photos are of some of my collection of "Nippon" china...this china was made in Japan, from the late 1800's to the 1920's...most of these pieces fall into that category...the raised beading and all of the raised work is handapplied by artisans. This moriage technique was gilded, as you can see in my photos...tiny beads of slip were gilded to look like gems...i had collected these pieces 30 yrs. ago..one by one..I was particularly entranced by the well known pattern called "wheat sheaves" which you can see on the vase, and ginger jar. The large vase with the swallows is so lovely..some of the swallows are handpainted, but some of them are done completely in the moriage technique...very striking use. Most of the pieces you see, are documented in a collection of 3 books on Nippon...i purchased the vase for $75.00 (swallows) it booked at 675.00. Since prices are down i honestly don't know what it would fetch. Many pieces are for sale on ebay. I am not ready to sell these beloved items yet! The small powder jar, has the gold beading..and is a popular motif known as "three Swans", it comes in many forms! The skill which all Nippon is enameled is amazing...all this was produced in Japan (Nippon) for export to the U.S.A. at the turn of the century..whole tea sets and dinner sets would find their way here!~ Hope you enjoyed my efforts! thanks, sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore
This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!