Onions very small ones

Greenacres, WA

I was given some onion starts but they don't make onion just little ones
I don't know about them, I wanted to grow big ones. can any one tell me why? Thanks

Thumbnail by MarciaS
Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

To me, that looks like Multiplier Onion bulblets (also called Egyptian Onions). If so.... plant the bulb ends just under the soil line & green onions / scallions will grow from them. They're perennial & will return next year. I had a bed that lasted 15 years untill I moved away.

Greenacres, WA

Here is a picture of the grown plant. How do you use them in cooking if they never get bigger they are so tiny.

Thumbnail by MarciaS
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Yep the Topsetting/Egyptian/Walking onion. You can use the top bulblets for pearl onions or use them to flavor soups and stews. The base plant which never grows a large bulb, you can use as a green onion. I grow them because they are a curiosity and carefree. Once established they keep going forever. Not too practical for me as an onion crop, as 1. they are quite pungent, 2. yields are meager and 3. uses are limited. I use plants for my main crop onions.

Greenacres, WA

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I think they are cute but I don't know if I want very many of them in my garden. If any one is interested in getting a start I would share.

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

I just pulled up my bed and have tons of starts. They take up too much room in my raised beds and I decided to grow only what I use the most of. These top sets look awesome in a floral arrangement. Laugh if you must, but I have seen them cleverly arranged with flowers. Very pretty.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And the florets have the most awesomely wonderful onion smell! That sounded like sarcasm, but I really mean it. I love the smell.

Greenacres, WA

It is interesting how they can be used. Those of you that have had them, did you use them without pealing the tiny onions? I planted some of them and they are vey small
greens if I cut the green tops off with the little bulbs will they keep growing? Thanks

Coos Bay, OR(Zone 9a)

Hi Marci---I did peel my tiny bulbs when I used them and I can't remember if they keep on growing after you take off the sets at the top. Is that what you mean?? I just think there are many more delicious onions out there than these. Nice that you don't have to keep planting them, though. I can see why the pioneers alway had them in their gardens.

Greenacres, WA

Thank You so much

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.