How to move hydrangea

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I have a Nikko Blue hydrangea that I need to move because one of my pine trees has grown so much you can hardly see it anymore. When and how do I transplant it.
Thank you for any advice.
Sherry

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

You could transplant it now but then you would have to monitor it through the rest of the summer. Or you could wait until it goes dormant in the fall and take advantage of more comfortable temperatures. Either is fine but moving in the fall while dormant is less stressful on the plant and reduces problems associated with transplant shock. Either way, do water it while it is dormant if the weather turns out to be dry and your ground has not frozen.

Longboat Key, FL

Try cuttings.

All of mine started with four small plants.

Be well

: )

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Well, I never got around to moving my hydrangea (Nikko Blue) last summer. So, I just got it transplanted yesterday. I sure hope it will be okay. I got as much of the rootball as I could. Right now it is just a bunch of 'sticks'. A couple broke off, but that's about all. But, we are having record breaking cold at the moment. Last night it was around 14 degrees! Figures....right after I transplant it. ;o( But it is warmer now at about 42 degrees today and supposed to be in the mid to upper 50's for highs and the mid to upper 30's for lows this week and weekend. Hope I didn't screw up my hydrangea! Oh well, I guess I can always get another one if I have to. Just hope that doesn't happen.

Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I like your picture and Oh... I see you have one of those unusual pine (?) trees that grows kind of weird. I like those and am always reminded of them when I go to my favorite restaurant (they have a 10-12' one too)!!!

I think your hydrangea will be fine; they are pretty strong shrubs. The cold temperatures will continue to keep it dormant for a while longer. Once the soil in your area is not frozen then start monitoring it for moisture. It will need constant (easier said than done) moist soil (never wet) and 3-4" of mulch will aid greatly. Do not bother fertilizing it this year or just use weak fertilizers like coffee grounds, liquid seaweed and/or liquid fish. Plants that are suffering from transplant shock should not be fertilized.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.