Blue & White Garden

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

I just love this blue and white flower garden!
http://www.dillongarden.com/gallery/blue_from_door.html

I wish the picture was bigger so I could get a better idea on what plants are in there. I'd love to recreate it, but I'm concerned it would look great for 2 weeks then be ugly the rest of the summer! What do you think?

Oh, and you'll love this comment from the "About the Garden" page:
"The longer one has owned a garden the more complicated it becomes to find appropriate sites for all the good plants that have to be accommodated; they cannot all have first-class positions, and fitting them all in is like doing a jigsaw puzzle."

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

There has been a blue thread in perennials I believe.
Not sure what plants they have but white could be spread out all year and blue is available for most of it too - now fitting the heights,etc. would be the challenge.

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

Ooh, maybe I'll repost over there, depending on the reaction here.

And yes, if it were only about picking color, it'd be easy! I think that's why I have such a hard time mapping out perennials -- there's so much more to think about than with shrubs.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

There are white and blue shrub options too! Probably some annuals in that garden.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I actually have two blues blooming next to each other now - perovskia in front of a butterfly bush - they go good together.
See if this search links:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/search.php?forum=&search_text=blue+flowers&limit=perennials&search_area=body&limit_poster=&Search=Search

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

That is very lovely. I think Victor is correct , if you want really blue blues some annuals like Bachelor Buttons would work well. Lots of blue/purple perennials now all season right through fall with caryopteris and asters. I think I would pick a white and a blue tall , med. and short plant for each season of bloom, mixing the flower and foliage shapes up for added interest. Sounds like a fun project. I would like to hear if you do it what plants you have decided on.
The little quote you added is oh so true, my biggest problem with a limited space is wanting at least one of everything and finding a spot for it all. I am afraid my lovely blue and white garden would soon become a more diverse color palate. Have fun and good luck. :)

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree about trying to plant all special plants together.
I work my garden in groups, with one outstanding plant surrounded by companions that either bloom at the same time or become special after the "signature" plant has passed bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.