Mystery vine seed; ID?

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

My brother was somewhere in the Caribbean and found seeds near a vine with heart-shaped leaves. He took them home and planted one, and up came a vine with heart-shaped leaves which died back before it produced any flowers. He told me it was egg-shaped and somewhere between two and three inches long. He was guessing morning glory because of the leaves but I told him I didn't think so as I'd never seen a 2-inch morning glory seed.

That's all the info I have. Does anyone know what this might be?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Not a professional, but morning glory seeds are usually somewhat round.
Would help if you had a picture of the seed & or the leaves of the plant. Also might help to know where the plant was growing.
Not familiar with the Caribbean but know there are a lot of unusual plants that fit your description of both seeds & leaves growing down South Florida, some on the beaches, some in other vicinities.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I'll see if he can send me a picture, or if his vine grows and flowers, that should do it. Thanks!

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Might be Aristolochia, just guess tho!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Maybe it is a Antigonon leptopus (Coral Vine).

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Oh, the seed is 2 inches and egg shaped? I thought you meant the flower! d'oh!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Right! Though I'm not sure whether he meant flat and oval, or egg shaped like an avocado. (He's in Spain right now so I can't ask him.)

Netcong, NJ(Zone 5b)

The largest seeds produced by anything in Convolvulaceae (The Morning Glory Family) are those of Merremia discoidesperma aka as St.Mary's Bean

Here is a link to the ID Forum where I posted some links...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5139957

Hope that helps...

Ron

This message was edited Aug 12, 2008 2:36 AM

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Ron. I'll check that out and maybe forward it to my bro.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Sounds to me more like a passiflora.

Thumbnail by budgielover

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.