Have any good watermelons this year?

South Milwaukee, WI

One of my favorite foods on earth is a sweet delicious red watermelon. This year, the ones I bought were terrible. I bought about 5 seedless ones-(all from different places) since Memorial Day and they were not sweet, had soft spots, and a rancid taste. I just bought a huge seeded one and have to dump it after eating a few pieces. It too was rancid and soft and slimy around the seed area. Did anyone else notice that this is a bad year to buy watermelon ? Are there good ones out there? I am now starting to give up hope and losing my taste for them altogether.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

The seedless watermelons I been buying at Sendiks have been fine so far.

The one I bought from Pick-N-Save was horrible - crisp and fresh looking, but absolutely no flavor, other than 'sweet'. Is it possible they inject them with sugar-water??

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

You're supposed to GROW them!

Thumbnail by LTilton
Downers Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

Hey LTilton! You're in my zone. Which melon is that? And any others that do well for you? I finally have space and would like to give them a try next year. Did some little cantaloupes this year and found one I really like. So watermelons are next! TIA!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

That's Yellow Doll. It's a great tasting melon and it matures quickly, which we need around here.

This is the first year I've actually succeeded in growing watermelons. Going to try Blacktail Mountain next year because they say it's the shortest time to maturity.

Shullsburg, WI(Zone 5a)

soapwort243

I suspect if you had rapped on those melons, they would have gone "thunk" rather than ping! They had probably been picked quite a while before being sold! And if it was rancid, probably wasn't even ripe when picked. One article I read about watermelons was that the pickers are one of the higher paid "vegetable" pickers due to the difficulty in selecting ripe ones. Course most of my books are kinda old so cheaper laborers has probably kicked into this process too!

Joe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.