Japanese anenome blooming

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Japanese anenomes provide a nice splash of color in the late summer garden. This particular variety can get invasive, but I like it so much that I don't mind spending time getting rid of the excess plants at least three times a year....they need to spread via an underground network.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

They are charming.

Lynn

Pretoria, South Africa

I would love to have some in my garden. I don't seem to be successful starting them from seed... Pity!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Lynn.

Elsa - I have not had any experience with the seeds. I got my plant when someone thinned their patch out. If you lived a little closer, I can give you all you want :)).

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I don't mind spending a little time pulling extra plants either if it's something I really enjoy.
Lynn

Pretoria, South Africa

If only I did stay closer.... LOL!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Elsa - so you are not always living in South Africa? I have the travel bug this year - went to Argentina a few months ago, and then I'll be leaving for a month to Europe (my first trip to that continent) at the end of this month. If I ever get to South Africa, I'll bring you some :). Never been to that part of the world either - most of my out of the country travels have been to Asia. So many neat plants originated from South Africa.

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi soilsandup,

I've only been to Angola - Maputu to be exact. I would love to travel a bit, but to tell you the truth, it will be very hard to decide where to go!

You must put South Africa on your "Have to see" list. LOL! I just love the sun, and the sky and actually the whole "vibe". We have some super lovely places to visit, and once again, it will be a case of "where to go" and "what to leave out" LOL!
I will hold you to those plants, should you ever decide to come and visit. (Smile)

Have a great day,
E

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

soils, I always want to cry or scream when I read how Jap. anemones can be invasive! Mine have always just struggled. They seem to put out a bloom when I'm not watching because baby plants spring up. But nothing gets over 8" tall and with 4 leaves. Perhaps I've been too cautious about sun and they've been in too much shade.

I branched out this spring and moved a few to more sun and they have buds!! Yeah! Your photo was beautiful. Don't you worry about poor me! :)

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Elsa - you got a visitor. Will let you know when :)))).

Cedar - Japanese anenomes are odd that way. I gave some of my plants to a co-worker and they did not do a thing for her. But once they get established, they can be quite invasive. Some varieties more so than others. I am glad you found a place where they seem to be thriving. I have some white ones that spreads only about 1/5 of the rate. That variety blooms about two weeks later. I'll try and post a picture when that one blooms.

Pretoria, South Africa

Wow, that will be great! Will keep the coffee and cake ready!!

E

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.