Beginner

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

Hello,

I've futzed with the idea of doing Vermicomposting for awhile. Well today I found some worms so I captured them. I don't want to mess this up, so could someone give me a complete run down of what I need to know. My container is a 5 gal. I especially want to know: How much dirt to organic matter should there be? Other then being slower is there any problem with just having only a few worms? Anything I shouldn't put in there? How do I harvest? How many worms can I put in there? But I really am a novice. I know not to get them too warm, I know that you can put the type stuff you would put in a compost pile, and I know the worms breakdown the organic mater; other then that I don't know much.

Laura

Norfolk, VA(Zone 8a)

Start w/ mostly bedding - shredded newspaper, soaked and wrung out so it's just damp. Don't add much food at all till they multiply. You can add a bit of food, start in one corner and see how fast it goes. Make sure it's covered w/ lots of bedding to deter pests.

Ok, thanks.

Paris, TN

you don't need to put dirt in your bin just bedding and how many worms do you have and where did you get them?

From my yard, not many. I actually let them go when I didn't get an answer right away. Do you need a certain type?

Paris, TN

well the best type is redworms they are composting machines. not sure if the earthworms you got from your yard would have survived anyway. If you want to start vermicomposting i recommend redworms they are super easy to maintain.

Where do you get them, and why wouldn't wild worms survive?

Paris, TN

not really sure to be honest just have heard that it wouldnt work something about taking them out of there environment. you can order redworms on the internet I actually sell mine if your interested you can dmail me and I can give you more info. but do some research on the net you will floored at how beneficial redworms are.

I'm not in a position right now, but maybe when we get more on our feet financially. How much are they?

Paris, TN

for 1lb of redworms you will pay $25 bucks and up depending on what site you order them from but if your serious about vermicomposting its well worth it I started out with a pound 2 years ago and they have multiplied like crazy making me more and more of the castings. it's great and a good hobby.

Norfolk, VA(Zone 8a)

I've read plenty of posts from others who have succesfully bred wild worms, nothing at all wrong w/ giving some free ones a shot. I've found reds for as cheap as $15 lb.

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=2094123%3ATopic%3A5122

When we start getting rain I'll collect them. They're staying under the ground right now. I figure rescuing worms from getting steped on is fair trade for them coming to work for me.

What do I need to do to set up a home for them?
How much dirt to organic matter should I add at a time?
Other then being slower is there any problem with just having only a few worms?
Anything I shouldn't put in there?
How do I harvest?

Elmhurst, IL

I am trying to find the website or telephone number for Ray's Worms and More. I think he is in Missouri. I have been searching for this website and cannot find it. I have ordered worms, worm castings and lady bugs from them and was very happy with their product, pricing and service.
I would appreciate any information on other websites to purchase similar products.
Thanks.

I would like to get some ladybugs.

Elmhurst, IL

I ordered ladybugs from a planet earth out of Montana. Unfortunately, more than half were dead when I received them. I order 5,000 and they came in a pretty small container. It took three days to reach Illinois so I do not think that should have been a problem.

Paris, TN

zhinu you shouldnt have aproblem with just afew worms they multiply super fast. They need bedding which can be peat moss or shredded newspaper and a little bit of organic matter if you have only a few worms. Don't use any meats bones dairy products and avoid citrus and onions as this raises the ph of the bin.

Thanks

Paris, TN

oh your bin thats easy too you can use any plastic tub with a few holes in the bottom for drainage because you do have to water your worms and thats about it its pretty easy and you can do it free or very cheap.

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I get a handful of worms (in a container of course) at the bait store for 3 bucks or less.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.