Chatty chat cock- a doodle- doooo

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/878765/#new

Hey all the other one was getting long Chat away about anything.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

tia, this is much better

thanks I forgot to put # 3 in the title but maybe it will be ok

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i'm sure it will be fine.

Clarksburg, MO

we are at 100 degrees with a heat index of 115. Anyone else sweating?

How do you all keep your coops cool? Looking for a few suggestions.

Sheila

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

sheila, it's about the same here. i got fans going in mine

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

taynors be careful with that heat exhaustion!
I learned the hard way last weekend :o( was only outside for about an hour, but was dehydrated already. I wound up in the hospital iwth heat stroke. a week later and I still cant be in the sun.

Drs told me if it happens again...do NOT drink water...ice chips only, and ice packs under arm pits and groin will cool you down pretty fast...after cool shower.

I may never get to go in the sun again :o( only time will tell, now my body temps fluctiate from 94.5* to 101* all week. still have to stablixe before I can spend any time in the sun again :o(

stay hydrated!!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

anjl, sorry to hear that. are you feeling better

I'm better as long as I stay out of the sun. walked DD and DGS from front door to street friday and got sick again just being in sun for a few minutes :o(

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

take care of yourself and stay inside

Clarkson, KY

Following up here from Dordles beauties. Are Belted Galloways anything like what we call Dutch Belteds or do you know? Some of the best milk cows, I heard. Must confess total ignorance.

On the country-v- city thing. 99% of our TV/media culture is based on the premise that life happens in the city and total idiots, uneducated nothings inhabit the country. My perception, my numbers definitely, but it remains very much an accepted "truth." I've not found the country the least bit boring nor the people any different or less cultured and diverse than in the cities and university towns.

Over here, as may also be the case there, the ethnic groupings and socio-economic groupings change with almost every town because they were usually settled by a different group of people. The old obvious differences are fast disappearing and the distinctive character of each city has become harder and harder to find as everyone is plugged in to the same TV and internet. You do have to drive the right direction sometimes to get anywhere that looks different in under 5 hours.:)

Clarkson, KY

Sorry all for the looong posts. I think I did better with Sam-I-am and Horton. Y'know I totally forgot that HE hatched an egg...

grownut i think Horton heard a "hoo" lolol :)

Lodi, United States

Horton did BOTH! He was an elephant of many talents.

Oh yeah that is right
i guess i should get out my kids books , alot of them are in storage until we move to the new house Hmmm i wonder if i got those on the book shelf here in the apt ?
we did see the movie. It was really cute.

a hoo...or a who?!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Since this is a mis-maush of our thoughts.. here is my pin-ball brains for today..
I went dexter cow learning today.. a farmer had a cow due in Sept for sale, I am NOT ready, but I called to talk and he said, come on out.. spent a couple hours with him.. learned so much.. most of all I learned this cow wasn't for me.. much as he wanted me to buy her.. nope, she is 4 and has never been milked.. she is also "head" cow.. I know nothing of cows, nor how to milk, now just assuming, we all make it through the birth and we manage to get to a milking stage.. I don't believe a cow that has never been milked is going to allow me to milk her.. I told him I wanted to start with a younger cow.. he finally understood, offered me a 10 month old, with a stud included in January for more than the older cow... I just don't know... I am thinking I better slow down and enjoy my goat.. he will be there next year with more babies.. and gave me the names of other breeders in the area.. I just really like how he takes care of them.. and love the fact that there is 13 and not one hill of manure.. what a clean place he had.. and the cows were beautiful and came running when he walked up... a steer fell in love with me.. he said he never seen him attach to anyone like that.. the steers name; DINNER.. lol anyway, due on the table in October... he kept licking my hand and followed me all the way back to my truck.. I thought he was going to climb in the passenger seat.
Anyway.. thats how my day went.... next....

Waipu, New Zealand

Hi Grownut. Belties (as we call them) originated in Scotland and are primarily a meat animal, though I guess you could milk one if you were set up to do it. They have huge udders when they calve. They are classed as a Rare Breed. We're not too good on the killing animals thing so breed purebreds for other people's herds. They have only 2% fat as they have a double coat so don't put on much fat. Quite small, about the size of a Dexter and very quiet.

Your comments on city versus country folk is true to some extent here. However, more and more city people are leaving the rat-race and opting for the country lifestyle, so must be bringing some brains in LOL! We won't know the difference soon!

We are ex-city as well and wouldn't go back for anything. LOVE the country.

Frans530, we used to have Dexters - a truly triple purpose animal! You can milk them, (they produce more milk pro rata than some of the milking breeds), they are also a beef breed and can be used for pulling carts etc, as they do in Ireland. You can get miniatures in both the above breeds - only about 90cms - oops sorry - 3 feet high.

Dords

Thumbnail by dordles
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

hey Dords.. what about making other products, like butter & cheeses.. he said that they are vertualy pre-homginized (really bad spelling) and I was thinking.??like the goats?? so does this mean I would need a seperator for the cow also?

Gate (Rochester), WA(Zone 7b)

K lil sis, you wait til I am too busy to check up on DG & post a horrible pix of me with my DGN! Your time will come! Just like when kids, when you least expect.........hehehehehe the planning starts.....

Kittyjo, what breeds are your new peafowl? Curious mind must know! lol
I've been working this weekend to prep for new-comers too! All this temptation talk got me going, only I am staying with peafowl for this year. Added 2 india blue chicks (about 3-4 wks old) - hopefully both future peacocks. 2 black shouldered chicks, 1 fully fledged & 1 about 2 wks old - no idea of sex until they are about 3mos old, when coloring starts to come in. And 1 india blue hen, who was suppose to be 1yr old, caught 2yr old instead. Me very VERY HAPPY ^_^

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

peafowl, i'm not sure. blue something?

Clarkson, KY

Dords - Galloway does sound more Scots than Dutch, now that you mention it. Love the pics. Can't see them handling the heat well here though.

Country folks? I was kinda surprised at how much smarter they seemed than well, eddicated city folks. Practical application has its uses, I guess. Out here you've got to invent it or it pretty much won't happen.

Love the pics.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Dords, love the pics!

Our next door neighbor has some Belted Galloway cows. She sells the meat at local farmer markets and from the farm. She mentioned to me once that they don't have as much marbling as some of the other cows so the flavor isn't as good. She has started mixing in Angus so she has crossbreeds for meat now. I guess you get more money when there is angus on the label. I've never tried the meat she sells as we grow our own so this is all from word of mouth!

Sue

Where oh where is Christy.

Clarkson, KY

Back to Horton - If I heard a hoo I'd sit on my eggs too!!!

LOL grownut
If you want more flavor in your meat then drizzle a little clear butter with a drop of vanilla in it . People will be banging down the door to get it . I promise . Unless your eating heatlthy.
Have any of you heard of lowline cattle . ? i was reading about them in Country Woman Mag ? or was it Mother Earth ? i will have to go look and get back to you on it lol
kids want to go swim
bbl
sue

Clarkson, KY

My medical/health books say 60% animal/40% vegetable fat ratio is optimum. I'll take the butter.

Novinger, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi all! Sorry to have been gone for so long. We have been having some pretty big personal problems lately so with the little on-line time I have I've had to do other things and haven't had a chance to stop by. I don't know how much I will be able to be on now, but I will try and stop by more.

Christy

Oh gosh Christy hope all is ok. We are here for ya hun and will keep you in our thoughts.

I hope everything is ok Christy. Thoughts are with you.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

the more marbling in the beef, the higher the cholestrol.... marbling is just another name for fatty deposits, but it SELLS at the supermarket....

i have in the past looked at both those breeds. now i know one is availbel in miniature, wish DH luck in stopping me!!!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

tf, one of the things I learned yesterday with the dexter cows.. the have milk like the goats, in as much that they are basicaly homoginized.. ie, very hard to seperate the fat.. AND they don't have a lot of marbling...
in my mind, (not dh's good for him.. just me..) not what I am looking for... only reason I would want cow over goat would be milk would be "easier" to work with, ie.. fats seperate easier and more readily.. and the marbleing.. for flavor.. yes, I want to be happy, but I also want flavor.. If I am doing all that work, i don't want it to taste like a diet cow!
So for right now I may keep looking... but wow did I learn a lot in a few short hours!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

ummm, four teats is easier thatn two?

i dont' have to do any separation, maybe becaseu my goats don't eat pelleted food or any kind of corn... we consume the milk withing two days, no cream ever rises to the top...

DIET COW.... lol you may be onto something there... i coudl eat diest cow...

btw, did i mention my goats mother was a 16 pound milker? each of them are currently at 6 pounds a day, plenty for me...

tf

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

but.. I want to make cheese.. sour cream.. soaps.. lotions.. don't I need fat as well as milk for all that??

londonderry, Australia

wow i only just got on to the new thread and it is already huge lol

Gate (Rochester), WA(Zone 7b)

Frans -- Diet cow indeed. I'm with you, if all that work...... although I know nothing of cows except the tansy I keep seeing all over spoils their meat & they cry - moan alot when you take their babies away (neighbors). Maybe someday......
TF & Christy -- glad to see you are both around. Hope all is going well for you.
Kittyjo, mind dmailing me a pix when older? curious to see how their colors come in - male vs female & how different breeds look as juveniles..... just some research I am doing, mostly checking if what breeder tells me is actually or what they think.

Night all! diet cow indeed! lol

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

hey, the news paper contacted me. they want to come and do a story on my peafowl, chickens and guinea

wow jordan that is neat

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i'm very excited! glad they didn't come yesterday, i had some escape

if you feed them grain over pasture they fatten up don't they ? and that is how you get your marbleing . ? so i m told . I could be wrong.
It is important to find a cow that fits your needs :) and your climate .
Jordon that is sooo coool on the paper doing a story on you. How fun.
I m to excited about making my own cheese and stuff. I think JustmeLisa does alot with cheese making ? she would be the one to ask .
There is a good book also that i would like to get
hey take care
sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.