Someone stop me. I bought another plant today (2)

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

You guys were right. That thread was getting too long. Here's my shopping spree yesterday: I bought 2 heliopsis ballerinas & 3 anemones for the garden by our pool. I also bought 3 lobelia cardinalis for a new garden that I'm trying to make into a hummingbird garden. Here's a pic of the heliopsis in my pool garden. I bought them b/c my garden was looking pretty tired. So much for waiting until fall to buy more plants.

Thumbnail by pgt
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, today I took my 3 little boys out for ice cream. I had to pass a nursery on the way home. We popped in, and they were buy 1 get one free, so I bought an echinacea and a davidII peacock buddleia.

I don't know the variety of the echinacea, anyone know what this is?

Thumbnail by pgt
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Razzmatazz?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

lisa, it looks like razzmatazz to me too

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I agree.... razzmatazz.

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, everyone. I think you're right - razzmatazz. What a funny name!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have resisted....100+ temps have really help me resist a LOT....guess the heat is my sponsor...LOL

Whitesboro, TX

Not mine bigred - still got the computer in the a/c so the shopping goes on. Only bought a bunch of petunia seeds this week - I love & buy them by a couple of flats a year just to have them for 3 months if I'm lucky here so I bought all the colors & types I like (hooray I finally got all the blues I like & can never find!)& going to start 3 flats of them this year to see if it's cheaper by seed or by buying started plants. I figure if I stagger the start times I might actually make it through a summer w/o dead petunias everywhere(ok quit LOLing me 'cause I'm delusional about thinking I can get them through this heat here- I know I'll be out there in July pulling them up anyway) & making a trade for some black & blue salvia. Now I just need to find a border plant 6-12" in blue that'll go from late June till fall. I've got pink dwarf cannas to flank my large angel statue & pink Texas sage to flank the 2 smaller ones,blue delphuim(sic) for the back row, black & blue slavia for between the statues but need a neat border plant for the front near the bricks in a blue (1st choice) or purple - need about 20 of them - 6-12" tall, full sun & heat tolerant. Anybody got any good suggestions so I can finally finish the lay out for the big bed? Thanks and have a great day y'all & stay out of the heat, Carol aka Catss

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

I bought a house plant yesterday, does that count? I looked at Lowes which is where I bought the philodrendon but the prices are still pretty high for this time of year and nothing caught my fancy. That makes me sad!

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

OH MY GOSH!!! Just when I thought it was safe to go to Lowe's to buy paint - they put out the most gorgeous sedums - had to buy 6 for a large area I'm working on!!!! But, I DID resist looking at anything else!! (does that count towards "being good"??!! LOL
Oh, AND, I ordered some lily bulbs - but they won't arrive till October - that's delayed gratification, right??!! Samantha

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i bought a brug yesterday, and ordered more bulbs today, so i'm in good standing with this club

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Saturday night is 'Hort Night' at a very good local green house which normally gives members a 13.5% discount. Hort Night is a members only evening with wine and cheese and a staff discount - 25%. Pretty hard to get out of there without buying something but I will try to make a list - a very short list (!) and get out without too many plants.The only things I really have room for are spaces that I have already decided to remove whats there and plant something new!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I didn't BUY any plants but came home yesterday from garden club meeting w/ a dish garden we all made during the cactus program that was being presented. Does that count?

P

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

yes bigred, that counts

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

oh goody,I didn't want to get drummed out

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

we could never give you the boot- you're the president

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hubby and I stopped at Lowes to pick up potting soil and I found Sonoran Sunset Hyssop on the 50% table, Bronze Beauty Ajuga and something called Blue Daze. The cashier was making fun of a fellow employee that needed a new engine in her husbands vehicle, but had a stash of plants to buy behind the counter. ;) I would be broke too! lol
They had some nice cactus gardens too....

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL...I prefer to be know by the title of Grand Pooh-Bah..*BSG*

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

you got it Grand Pooh Bah

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

sounds so much more fun that "President"

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Unless, of course, you are also into composted manure, then it would be "Grand POO-bah"!!! ;) Samantha

This message was edited Aug 14, 2008 9:41 AM

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

well...I compost and I have donkeys and chickens that make a lot of poo I need to be adding to my compost...I just hate the thought of shoveling said poo

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i put chicken poo in mine

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

red - I'm coming!!!! - shovel in hand - (do you think the Homeland Security folks will understand when my luggage is warm & stinky???) Samantha

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I need to get some chicken poo on my compost to make it cook faster since I'm lazy about turning it.

Samantha....LOL. Well chicken poo does have a lot of amonia in it and I believe that's one of the ingredients for home made explosives but it'd be fun to watch customs elbow deep in a suitcase full of poo.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

I got to bring home cactus plants. We got a shipment of 7 boxes of cactus and the unloaders ignored the words "Fragile-Live Plants" and "This End Up" and the ARROW pointing up to the top of the box. So all the plants were jumbled and turned over, we donned gloves and saved most of them but in two boxes they had been planted as dish gardens and the "dish" part was broken. So me and another coworker salvaged the plants and was allowed to take them home. Yea, free plants.

Bigred I wish we had garden club meetings. Every time I sign up for the master gardener classes or gardening or plant classes at the college they can never get enough people to fill the class. I have attended some master gardener classes but they can never finish the program due to lack of attendance.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Amber,
unlucky for the plants...lucky for you.

It's a shame about the MG classes. We have a nice group of folks in the MG program that run the farmer's market I attend. Hardworking group.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

PGT,

Trying to stop a gardener from buying a new plant is like trying to stop a Mack truck, your just going to get hurt.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

Dale, what a pretty combination! What's the orange/red foliage plant?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Coleus 'Alabama' above

Coleus 'Dipt in Wine' below

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I am sending someone some daylilies next month. So stopped at Lowes and found (at least according to the tag) Wild Horses for $2.50! WIsh I would have grabbed the Final Touch too though.

I know they had it as they club selection over the summer. They really had a very limited number of DL's this year.

Seminole, OK(Zone 7a)

I have bought some more houseplants. I was able to get two Alocasias half price at Lowes and a plant that has semi-dark green leaves shaped like an arrowhead that grows one leaf per stem but the stem is black,can get really long and shoots straight up and feels really hard. There wasn't any info on the plant and I haven't identified it yet. Also a fern I need to id and a sweetheart philodrendon, Oh and yesterday I bought a spider plant hanging basket.

The bad thing is we got a shipment of 613 shrubs and perennials in. I am going to get some Blue Mist Spirea, Asters, and of course another couple of Crape Myrtles and Altheas, I am waiting on our bonus check. I get that in another week.

We didn't get very many Daylillies either and then it was only the "Stella D' Oro."

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I went to our local farmer's market last Tuesday and, though I swore I didn't really have room for more stuff right now (or money, for that matter), I got an awesome deal on some monkshood and a couple of toad lilies, both for my part-shade garden. Hey, you can always make room, right? They were huge plants for $5 each. ;)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Catssdawg2: Have you tried the Laura Bush petunias? I wintersowed them this year, my first time trying them and I really like them. I prefer the original purple to the pink (I sowed both), the purple is an almost iridescent color. I hop they reseed for me but I will wintersow more just in case. They are a Texas native that might do well for you. I think the only source for seeds is Wildseed Farms.
http://www.wildseedfarms.com/laura_bush_petunia_item_8882.htm

Here's a little info on them, too.
http://www.texasgardener.com/pastissues/marapr02/laurabush.html

I'll post a picture of mine which shows both the pink and purple.
Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna

What---did everyone stop buying plants????

Money has been very tight for me but what did I do? I ordered 19 rose bushes and 100 iris reticulata. I though hubby was going to have a heart attack when he saw the rose order. I'm glad he loves me. I explained that I didn't have to pay for it--I put it on my credit card (acting dumb didn't get me anywhere). Still, roses are his favorites so he wasn't too mad and he wasn't surprised at all.

I guess I could try to enable everyone. I ordered the roses from Palatine. Their bare root roses are the best. They're huge and they grow so well.
http://www.palatineroses.com/search/
The site may take a few minutes to load.

I ordered the iris from Brent and Becky's.
http://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/
But I just received my Scheepers catalog and they are much cheaper for the same thing.
http://www.johnscheepers.com/
But I won't cancel my order--however, I WILL remember this next year. Both companies have been equally good on the things I've ordered.

I was going to order some Valerian from Bluestone but they won't have any until spring.

Anyone else buying plants this autumn?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Unfortunately, No more buying right now....no breathing room in the budget!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

You are too funny!!! Don't you have an ' I need to buy more plants stash' somewhere? ;)
I explain it to dh this way "we are all consumers, and we need stuff to survive" He buys more useless junk than you could imagine. Don't get me started! lol
We stopped at walmart the other day to get catfood and he dropped me and my son off at the door by the garden center. Not a good idea for a plant addict! I went straight to the pet section and thought he would park near that door. Couldn't find him, so my son talked me into buying a Crown of Thorns that was 50% off. 9 year olds can convince moms to do anything! Plus I ordered a spring bulb collection from his school fundraiser, like I needed that!
There's a place near here that sells those iris by the bagfulls for a dollar or two. I planted mine late in the spring and they bloomed within a month. I should go grab some more to share :)

here's my clearance plant, it has 3 more blooms since this pic.

Thumbnail by Raggedyann

Cool plant. Your son knows your weaknesses though. Oops.

I fully understand being tight on money. A week after I ordered the roses, my company announced that they were cutting our schedule from 42 hours a week down to 24. (Deer-in-the-headlights-look). OMG. I would almost make more money if they laid me off and I collected unemployment. Now I'm trying to run a home on less money than some teenagers make at fast food jobs. Ugh.

But I refuse to cancel my orders. I really have to have something to look forward to. It's important to me. But I will be job hunting on monday morning.

New Milford, CT

All I can say is, thank heaven for overdraft protection. :-D

Let's see, the 12 German Iris 'Buckwheat' bulbs from Van Bourgondien's just shipped ... waiting for a bunch of allium & anemone bulbs from Breck's that I just had to have and the muscari "Mount Hood" from John Scheepers ... plus those four cuttings of coral honeysuckle I found on eBay ... oh, and all the seeds I ordered for winter sowing have already arrived. I just couldn't wait!

Just another day in the life of a new gardening addict, right?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.