Shrimp shells in the compost bin??

Clarksville, MD

I'm new to composting and need some help. Would shrimp shells be good for the compost? I live in a densely populated suburban neighborhood. My compost bin is in the back of the house and so far doesn't smell so I think I'm doing things right. It would seem that the shells would be a good thing ...

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

They would be great. If you dig them down into the middle of the pile, you shouldn't have an odor problem at all.

Clarksville, MD

thank you : )

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I've used them before.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I'd crush them up first and then bury them deep. Lots of good stuff in those shells, will only make your compost better!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

These are one of the few non-plant things I always add to my compost, wrapped in a paper towel. They break down fast!

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I didn't even crunch mine up. And when I used the compost there was no sign of shells left.

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

I have a big tin full of small dried whole shrimp and fish that my fussy pet turtle wont eat. Its proper pet food from the store, but he doesnt like it. After months of storing it in the cubbord I got the idea of putting them on the garden. I have concerns of attracting animals, or creating a stink. They smell bad enough as it is LOL but might have a bunch of nutients that the palnts might like. What do you think?
Lena

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Good nitrogen of course--and I imagine the pieces are pretty small so will break down fast. you know I doubt that you'd be able to attract many animals with an occasional adding of something a little smelly like that. Different story from adding daily meat scraps.

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

It probably isn't any smellier than fish emulsion fertilizer, but you can always bury it a few inches below the surface of the soil, or put it in a compost pile and cover it with newspaper. I'll bet it would be great for the plants!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.