Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

This make grandmaw have potty mouth. This WAS my beets,carrots,brussels sprouts and cauliflower. Stinkin' armadillo. Hub's dispatched one yesterday morning. I guess this is it's buddy's/mate's revenge.

Son of a buck!

P

Thumbnail by bigred
Saint Paul, MN

Wow! They don't leave anything.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Oh man! Armadillo's buddy would be buzzard bait!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

nope...nothing there left to salvage ,gotta straighten it out then reseed and as soon as I catch the bugger out there,he'll join his buddy/girl as buzzard bait.

Hopefully it won't do any more damage before next week end when the weather gets out of the 100+ then we're putting up a fence...burying it about a foot or two so it can't dig under.

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

We had to fence our garden because of critters, especially deer and our own dogs! It's well spent money and time. It's tough to have that happen though. All the rest of us can understand your feelings--that's a LOT of hard work down the drain!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I can reseed brussel sprouts and carrots now but I have to wait until next month to reseed the cauliflower and beets. I'm not doing anything else ...except patrol for critters,until we get the fence up.So far it hasn't done much damage to the other garden behind the greenhouse....keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Big Red, I sympathize with you as armadillos are my biggest critter problem here with my flower beds - many a day and hours have been spent "redoing" the beds and trying to salvage the plants that have been uprooted. I have three dogs, but they also caused damage when they run thru the beds chasing the armadillo.

Good luck and hope it stays away from your other garden.

Judy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have aramdillo damage in my lawn and they're trying to build another den under some decorative boulders again. I keep filling in the hole,hoping they'll give up. Other than the den they're trying to build,that haven't done much damage to the flowerbeds just my darn veggies I would have like to been eating next month.

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Naturelover1950...i also had to put up fencing to keep my own dogs out of the veggie and flower gardens, so I actually chuckled after reading your post.

However , the destruction those armadillos unleashed is devastating...I am so sorry for your veggie losses Bigred... what a shame , all of those veggies. :(

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Sunny,
still have plenty of seeds but I was hoping to be eating some and taking some to market in mid-Sept. Doesn't look like it now. I do still have stuff planted behind the greenhouse they haven't gotten into...knock on wood and hope it stays that way until we can get the fence up this coming weekend. I was really looking forward to the brussels sprouts,green and purple cauliflowers....darn 'dillos!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Aw, nuts! That sort of destruction makes my groundhogs look insignificant. I'm glad it was veggie sprouts and not perennials, at any rate.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Makes you appreciate farmers that do this on a bigger scale as their only source of income.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

bigred, i am so sorry about your garden.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

that's ok...fence will hopefully keep the big varmits out and I have plenty more seeds.

Nearly a week of 100+temps killed a bunch of other seeds so gotta re-sew those too. It's just another day in gardening.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

The heat has gotten to everything but my peppers and okra,
The armadillos have cute babies, the dogs love to chase them around the yard. Problem is, they are so destructive as well, They get up under the foundation of our house and as much as I hate to do it, we pour concrete down their holes. We have two families that live under rocks in the front yard, thats fine, but getting up under the foundation just doesnt work. I would be livid if they got the garden, the moles are bad enough.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

BigRed. Did they eat the veggies, or just dig so much they made a monster mess. Wondering cuz the ones I get running through here. I know they dig for worms and grubs anywhere they cna smell em, but didn't know they would be eating veggies too.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

No,they don't eat the veggies just dig them up going after the grubs and worms.

Would it work at all to do your planting, then "mulch" with 1/4" mesh wire?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Wonder if sprayign something like pepper or tabacus sauce woudl keep them out.

real shame abotu them digging everythign up liek that, but maybe now they will have all the grubs out and leave your garden aloen this second time, but sure is alot of hard work to see destroyed so fast.

Hey! Starlight! You are dyslexic like me! That's how I spell! Pain where a pill can't reach. I even misspell my own name sometimes. Sigh. and re-read, re-read, re-read

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Yep, when I type I very dyslexic. My fingers do their own thing regardless of what the brain may say. : )

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I been wanting a fence around the garden for some time now because we're rural and there's lots of dogs that roam the neighborhood,yards and gardens. Cats too but fence mean nothing to them(as well as squirrels). Idealy,I'd like my entire yard fenced but hub's refuses because he says he doesn't want to get out to open and close gates when he needs to get to the back yard where we park. Lazy bugger..LOL

I have to read over my post several times for mistakes and don't always get all of them even then.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

i'm dealing wit h some awefull messes left behind on an armadillo mess too. got one of them the other night, Still have another left I guess. uprooted plants all the time, though their not in the veggie garden. That's sickening peggy, all that hard work. I'd be on a stake out to kill that other one for sure.

gardens look good though. Lots of hard work there. I hate those buggers

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I got one row cleaned,raked out and ready to plant. Another 'dillo has been coming back the last two nights but we haven't been able to catch it in the act so I'll wait to sew seeds until we do. At least it's moved on to digging in the leaves around shop and equiptment shed and leaving the garden alone. Hub's started working on our roof so it doesn't look like the fence will go up this weekend.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I saw on another thread where TPlant says Critter Ridder, available at Lowe's, will keep the wildlife away and also works on cats and dogs. I'm going to try it for my daughter's dogs getting into my beds. You might give it a shot. If it works it could be cheaper and easier than putting in fences or catching them.

Karen

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

already have the fencing and post taken down from a piece of property we sold so not out of pocket just sweat driving the post

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

That's good then.

I already have four-foot fencing around the veggie garden, but I'm going to try it on the smaller flower beds because the shorter fencing there is not keeping them out.

Karen

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

yup,I believe in re-using stuff 'til a darn won't stick to them....LOL

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

I, too, am in favor of reusing stuff -- you betcha -- or putting it in the recycle bins if there's no further use for it. We got a post driver for putting in the posts. My daughter and I had a good laugh over the reaction at HD when we went in there and asked for a "poundy thing". Guess no one ever called it that before. My receipt said it was a post driver -- LOL.

Karen

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Karen....LOL...I probably would have called it that too. I hate the darn thing but it's better than digging hole after hole with a post hole digger.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh, yeah, it's way ahead of a post hole digger. Here, if you must put in a post, say 4x4, it can take two days to dig the hole. You have to keep filling the hole with water, digging out the moistened clay, and then refilling with water, etc. It's really too bad I'm not a potter. This stuff would be perfect for that.

Karen

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

adobe hut anyone?

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL. Actually with straw you could make very nice adobe bricks. It also has little round smooth rocks all through it. These rocks were obviously in the bottom of a river or stream for a very long time. So what is this "soil" doing at the top of a hill at about 900 feet elevation? Fascinating, but difficult to garden in.

Karen

Here is a photo where you can see some of the round rocks. My daughter got a good deal on a large stack of bricks for a patio, but I think it's way down on the to-do list.

Thumbnail by glendalekid
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh,I love good deals....love "free" even better. I have a pile of red brick someone gave hubs I want to use to make my veggie rows higher with but they're buried in weed and grass at the moment and I'm not sticking my hands in there to get them out.Hub's spooked a big copperhead from under an old bath tub last week,he was moving to my son's pasture for a water trough. It's in our little storage hut now and I'm not going in there either till winter.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Luckily a snake will usually run unless it is cornered. Yep, if it were me, that copperhead could have the storage hut, too. LOL.

Karen

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

IT'S RAINING! Been raining nice slow soaking rain since yesterday am. It'll sure make getting post in the ground easier and when I fianly do get to sew seeds,they'll have nice cool,wet soil to germinate in.

I usually wait until it's fairly cold to start poking around in sheds and weedy areas. At least if I come across a snake,it'll be to cold to strike...I hope. I stir a little copperhead up early one spring,didn't know it until I felt something cold across my bare ankle. Didn't get bit 'cause it was cold.
P

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Lucky you!! Been watching the Doppler map on Weatherbug. I was so hoping we would get some, too. But I think it will pass us by as the storm is going too much on a diagonal path.

Or too hot. Snakes don't adapt well to cold or heat. Either extreme and they can't move very fast.

Karen

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

Bigred,

I think this got discussed a little earlier in the summer. I put in electric fence around the garden, and have not had any critters of any kind in there. The cat got in a few times, but then he got in the fence once, and has never been back -- not even close. I put one wire about 3 inches off the ground, another at 6 inches off the ground and the third at 30 inches. I've got dozens of squirrels, rabbits, and raccoons back there, but haven't had a single thing in the garden touched (knock on wood). The deer give the whole yard a wide berth now, which I'm okay with, but the wife has been whining about a little (LOL). Its faster to put up, easier to gate, and less visible than any other fencing option.

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

You do have to check it periodically to see that it's still working and a recent rain shorted out the charger. We had to put an electric fence wire around the top of our house fence (four-foot dog wire fence) to keep one of the dogs IN the yard. It is cheap to put up, though. My next-door neighbor has a three-wire electric fence around his garden, but the bottom wire is about 8-10 inches off the ground. I've seen raccoon tracks going through there, so your 3 inches for the lowest wire is a good call.

Karen

Brighton, MO(Zone 6a)

Karen,

I think it is the combination of the 3 inch wire and the 6 inch wire that has been the secret to success. I've seen squirrels and raccoons go under some pretty short fence, and I've seen them jump higher than 6 inches, but it appears that if they have tested the fence, they've decided it isn't worth the effort. Of course, it could be all the bird seed and sunflower seed my wife puts out for them and the birds!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.