What's wrong with my zucchini plant?

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I got some nice ones at first, and then they started coming out dimpled like this. They are Burpee Hybrid zucchini from the same seed packet I used last year (with great results). My garden is on a drip system, so watering is consistent. The zukes taste fine but look funny, and I am getting a lot fewer of them.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

The leaf texture has changed too. The newer leaves look like this:

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

They should look like this (same plant, just an older leaf):

Thumbnail by lisabees
Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I read recently about herbicide residues in compost that cause plants to grow in odd ways.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Thanks Mary, but I use my own homemade compost so it can't be that.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

The plant is probably just getting old.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

What's "old" for a zucchini plant? It was only just started from seed 2 1/2 months ago. I don't expect it to be old until the weather gets cold :0).

Looks like squash mosaic (or another viral disease) to me.
Visit: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3109.html

Only thing to do is tear out the plant (burn it or put it in your garbage can, don't compost it) and start over. Plenty of time in Colorado for new zukes!

Potagere

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

RATS It does look like that! I guess I'd better get rid of it before it spreads :-(. Oh well, I still have plenty of yellow crooknecks & patty pan. I may still have a chance at zukes before frost (but it's not unusual to have our first frost in mid-September). I'm going to give it a shot anyway. This may be the year to install some serious early-frost protection.

Thanks Potagere & everybody!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.