Hardy Amaryllis Zone6?

Louisville, KY

I have two species Amaryllis that were sold as cold hardy forms. They have survived in Kentucky zone6 for the last 6 years. Is their a list of other hardy forms and species? I would like to get a nice collection of them and if so were is the best place to order. THANKS

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Ewing, VA

Hello Bryan! That's very good news that your amaryllis survived zone 6. I am in zone 6/7, right in the border of KY,VA and TN, and have been so scared to try to plant my X Johnsonii (supposed to be cold hardy too) on the ground. What are the names of the 2 specie amaryllis you got? Is that one pictured Ackermanii(another cold hardy variety)? It is very pretty. How deep in the ground did you plant the bulbs? Mulch?

I have no idea about a list of cold hardy species though. If you find one, please inform us here too. Thanks!

Louisville, KY

You just listed the two I have X Johnsonii and Achermanii. I have had them out for over 6 years and I do mulch in winter around 4 to 6 inches with hardwood mulch. I have had a few stay out with no mulching but very organic soil.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi Brian,

there is a German Hippeastrum forum which now has an International section in English. This thread might help,

http://www.hippeastrum.info/thread.php?threadid=391

Of course winter hardiness often depends on heat for summer ripening but I think you get that.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, Brian
I was in Louisville this past weekend and had even mapquested your place. I ran out of time plus being with my husband and 4 kids that wanted to go other places didn't help. We did get a lot of back to school shopping done :)
Do you sell/trade the hardy variety above? I am interested.
Teresa

Louisville, KY

To bad you missed stopping in. The place is starting to look very tropical here. I usually have a few of these around and am trying out the crinums as well. Next time your in the area you should stop in. Of course once it starts getting cooler I have to start taking stuff inside and chopping things back.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

How late do you wait before you start cutting back? We may be back in sometime in late Sept. I have one crinnium lily that I leave in the ground. I wish it would multiply!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.