Black EE's sending out runners?

Independence, LA(Zone 8b)

This may be something common but I have never seen it before. I have some large black ee's that are sending out runners above ground and little babies are coming up at the end of the runners. Is this common? I have a lot of ee's but the pups always come up from under ground. How would I go about taking them off to propagate?

ok, it is common LOL. I sure do wish we could delete our own 'stupid question' posts. Anyway here it is with the very obvious name http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/74980/

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

That's OK because I recently experienced this, too. I am not very experienced with colocasia, but purchased several on the tropical co-op this year and have several from a nursery that I got last year. Out of about 10 varieties, only one is doing exactly what you are describing, so I'm glad you posted.

Any idea on the name of yours sending out runners? I ordered some from the topical co-op too. So far I'm in love with cranberry and would be really excited if I got pups this year.

Keaau, HI

The traditional name for this taro is Colocasia esculentum var. antiquorum 'Black Dasheen'.
Some enterprising sales people more recently have tagged it as "Black Magic Taro".

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

I dug out my paperwork from the co-op. I believe the one sending out the runners is Colocasia 'black ruffles.' I only got to colocasia- black ruffles and cranberrry. My cranberry is more like dark purple, however, if I have them identified correctly.

Maybe I should stick this little guy out at the edge of the pond!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, see your not alone! I was pretty surprised when I saw mine sending them out this year. I've never seen it before..

Keaau, HI

It is common for Asian Taro (Colocasia esculentum var. antiquorum) to send out runners. South Pacific and Hawaiian Taro (Colocasia esculentum var. esculentum)
does not. The 'oha or off-shoots will be right from the makua or main stem.

Aloha, Dave

fauna, your cranberry is dark purple? Mine has green leaves with cranberry colored stems. The leaves are ruffled too. My black ruffles has not sent out runners but boy would I be happy if they did it too.

Thanks everyone for the clarifications too. I love this site because I'm always learning something new. I'm going to leave the babies until next year and then move them to my front ditch. I think a ditch full of black ears would be beautiful (I have at least 10 mother plants! yikes, that's alot of babies!)

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Me too.
Dave, I hope I get to meet you at the beginning of next month while I'm visiting Carol.
Rj

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

My c. Black Magic does the same thing - sends runners out to grow new plants. Given time, the new plants will root.

c. Illustris does it a little differently. It sends runners underground - I dug up 15 plants this summer, all of which were about 20 feet away from where Illustris grew last year. There are still new plants coming up! The original plant was dug up at the end of last summer.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.