Brown spots on leaves

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Is there a product I can use to stop the brown spots on the leaves as shown in the photo? If weather could be a factor, we've been getting almost daily rain here for the last few months (following a severe drought.)

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think it's from all the rain--this is what can happen when water gets splashed up on the leaves and then they stay wet. The best way to avoid it is to only water in the morning rather than the evening and use drip irrigation or carefully water around the base of the plant rather than using overhead watering. Unfortunately, we can't control Mother Nature, so sometimes things like this will happen even if you do everything right. It's not something you really need to spray for--I'm not sure that the sprays are very effective on things like this in the first place (particularly if it's still raining!) and while it's unsightly it's not going to generally do permanent harm to the plant. Where you'll get permanent damage is if it keeps raining and the soil stays way too wet for way too long and the roots start to rot, but spraying won't help prevent that (hydrangeas like moisture though so I think it would have to rain a lot and there'd be other plants in your garden that would succumb to the excess water before they would).

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Thank you, Ecrane3. You always seem to be there to help when I have a problem, no matter what it is. The only other plant I have which is displaying these symptoms right now is one of my three mandevillas that are sharing a large trellis. Its leaves are turning darker, have lost their gloss and have these dark spots on some of the leaves. However, it is still blooming very well.

My mandevillas are some of favorite flowers, so I would hate to lose them. I've never seen a plant that grows so fast. Their growth rate has amazed me.

As far as the hydrangea problem, maybe we will get a break from the daily thunderstorms. (We were desperate for rain just a couple of months ago.) Thanks, again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.