I got to meet LOON (Brenda)!!!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

If you have never met her you are missing a very nice preson I'm sorry I could not spend very much time with her there were 3 other girls with me but I have every intension of going back to viset and go boating and see her gardens thank you Brenda ;0)
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

(((((((((((hugs))))))))))) Gloria,

It was indeed a pleasure to meet you and your lady friends. I'm happy that I finally got to go to the daylily farm and meet the "King" himself. Fred is quite an interesting person. I bought his book and am reading all about his life. What an inspiration. He'll be 100 years old on Halloween. I am in awe of how well he functions at his age.

Even though I didn't plan to buy any more flowers I did. I got them all planted yesterday. I cut the fans all back down to about five inches after soaking them in water. I am eager to see them next year. I got a lot of red ones which I did not have. I hope you and your friends enjoy all the wondeful flowers you all went home with.

I'll look forward to your next visit. I hope anyone else coming to Au Gres gives me a jingle and comes to visit too.

Brenda

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Wow Glevey good for you. I would love to meet anyone from daves also!! Sounds like you had a great time. What daylily farm??? Sounds beautiful. Was it hard to only pick out a few plants??? Ronna

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow Brenda I still can't belive that you have not been there before this !! I'v been there 3 times!!!! I so wish I would have remembered to get his book ;0( i think it would be a good read he is still so SHARP Nancy ( school teacher) was a mazed with his math (loved it) have a good night /day have to work all week end
Gloria

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

what daylily farm..where...? lol

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

AU GRES DAYLILY KING

Au Gres is known for the great fishing, but also is known by many for daylilies. Fred Sheill, 99 prides himself as being ‘Daylily King’ of his 10 acre farm off Tonkey Road in Au Gres. This farm is open to public and for $5 you receive a small clump of daylilies or for $8

a shovel size full. You will still find Fred most days in the fields running the tractor between rows or sitting in his pickup at the end

of the entrance. Fred’s schedule is 10:00 am - 5:00 pm May 1 until frost. Stop in and say “hi” to the Daylily King.

~~~~~~~~~~

The farm is located at 23 and Tonkey Rd. in Au Gres

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

If you have never been there its a cool place to go even if you just talk to Fred he has one sharp mind and loves his daylilies I don't know if there all his crosses from all his years but he dose have some nice ones its a good place to go for beginners I wish I would have remembered to get his book !!! (darn ) ;0(
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

cool you got to meet and go there
i have one whole row from his farm!!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I got 5 diffrent ones one is a double orengie color love it I dont think any are named?? don't care!!
Gloria

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda

Why didn't you call me and tell me you guys were going to the Day Lily Farm.....I live less then 6 miles from there........I would love to have met you gloria......

Deann

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I would love to meet you too the next time I come there its a date promise !!!
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Deann,

I'd be happy to go to the daylily farm any time with you. Just call me whenever you want to go. We both live close to it so I can be there in ten minutes.

Brenda

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda

Have you been up to the AuGres farm market yet?? Its tomorrow from 1 pm to 7 pm.....I think I am going to venutre up there to see what its all about.....then stop by at Lily Farm, like I need more plants.... LOL....

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Deann,

I have been to the farm market once a couple weeks ago. There were not many vendors there. Less than ten if I recall. There wasn't really anything there to buy that I wasn't already growing in my own veggie garden. One lady was selling honey but we don't do sugar of any kind here because of mom and Vern's diabetes. I think we went around two in the afternoon. Maybe there will be a better turnout now. I hope so. It's a good idea. I should take my excess cabbage and zuchinni up there. ha ha ha I've got enough to feed an army. If you need any come on by. You can have all you want.

Brenda

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Brenda

Well I stopped in at the Farm market.....what a disappointment compared to the one in Tawas.....To me it looked like a mini flea market. There were maybe 5 vendors there, only 2 selling veggies or produce and the rest was flea market stuff. Two whole customers.

If I were you I would do that Brenda....take your veggies up there and sell them....

I stopped by the Lily Farm on my way back home and dug up some gold colored Iris that I got from him a few years ago....thankfully I knew where I dug them up the last time. Did not realize till I got back up to the old man that the ones I dug up had itty bitty holes in them from some sort of bore. I tried to tell the old man I did not want this one and I wanted to dig up another. I could not convenience him there was something wrong with the plant....he tried to tell me the birds made the holes.....I did dig up another, but it was so funny, he was totally convenienced I did not know what I was talking about.

Deann

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL Deann, I'm glad you found what you wanted. I never even noticed iris there when I visited. I'm sorry you wasted your time coming to our farmer's market. I've never been to the one in Tawas. I've been driving around giving a lot of my extra veggies away and even feeding some to the deer. I planted too much. I'm making some changes in next year's garden. :)

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Hay I diden't see any Iris either !!!! where were they so I know the next time I go Brenda I'm glad your garden is growing I'v got one tomato and one green pepper hardly enough for dinner let a lone feed the critters good for you girl !!;0) sell sell make flower money

Gloria

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Gloria

The Iris I wanted was growing along fence on north side....If you remember the lay out....you come in and go down to that little road and he is usally parked to the right next to his barn....well if you go to the left on that road there is a fence and they are growing all along there.....actually you can not see them from the weeds.....He has so many weeds growing there....

Deann

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks Deann I shure will look next time!!!!!

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Gloria

You may want to ask him what colors they are as nothing is marked. He remembers everything from memory. He also has a photo album in his truck that you can look at with pictures of everything he grows in there.

Deann

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thank you I will ask him to show me I just hope hes there next time I go 100 is very old !!!!!
Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.