Salvia vitifolia

London, United Kingdom

A recently discovered, extremely rare, Salvia species from Oaxaca, Mexico. This is a large, summer-flowering perennial, with huge blue flowers, and vine-shaped leaves. I would suggest that this would like to grow in shade. Hardiness is not known.

Robin.

Thumbnail by 2salvia
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Robin, that is an absolutely gorgeous shade of blue--I love it! Too bad it's extremely rare!

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Absolutely Fabulous:)

Riverview, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow! What a beautiful blue salvia!

That truly is a blue hue to rave about! May it make tons of seeds!

Joseph

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Bluetiful!

Candor, NC

It is closely related to Salvia patens. Strybing (now the San Francisco Botanical Garden) had a S. mendax that was similar.

I attached an image of a magnificent S. patens from Cabrillo College.

It is too bad Robin could not get there, but there will be a second conference, probably in 2 - 5 years, and it is good that we did not cover everything in the first year. Based on the universal enthusiasm and interest amongst both the speakers and attendees, you will be greeted at the second meeting with great interest and anticipation.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

Here is a closeup. Ernie Wasson liked to point out that there were so many dropped flowers that there was a virtual blue carpet under the plant.

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

This is in full sun in Aptos? Hmmm., I'll have to consider that, though they are somewhat milder there than here.

Candor, NC

The plant was in a shady location towards the back of the garden.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Ahh! Thank you. I have mine in a large pot in a somewhat shaded location...keeping a watchful eye on this one.I'm finding that an awful lot of my salvias do much better in partial shade or dappled light.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.