Compost Bin or tumbler? Which one to choose?

Bayside, NY

Hi,
I'm interested in starting a compost pile. I'd like to purchase a bin or tumbler because I live very close to my neighbors and don't want to keep it exposed. I have a small garden in NYC and would like to purchase something easy to use and effective. Any suggestions on which product to buy?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

The Biostackers have the best recommendations on here. Check thru the threads on here, lots of information on various compost bins etc. :)

Bayside, NY

Thanks much! While the Biostack seems to be the best rated Composting Bin that I found-New York City offers a discounted program where I can purchase a composting bin for $20.00
The choices are:
Garden Gourmet compost bin

Earth Machine compost bin

any feedback?

Or should I spend a little more and get the Biostack?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
The choices are:
Garden Gourmet compost bin
Earth Machine compost bin
any feedback?
Or should I spend a little more and get the Biostack?

Hi Mluna:
I've looked at the websites for the compost bins listed above. While they all look very "worthy," none has the advantage that the Biostack has, which is that the three tiers can be restacked as you toss your compost. This allows the more finished compost on the bottom to be easily removed--something that "fixed" composters don't allow. In them it's much more difficult to remove finished compost from the bottom, no matter what the ads say.
I have had three Biostacks for three years.

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

We have a similar deal, a little more expensive here. Our choices are Biostack Bin ($60), Earth Machine($40), and Green Cone™ Solar Digester ($50) I wouldn't mind feedback as well.

CapeCodGardener - Ok that covers two of mine. How about Biostack bin vs. Green Cone™ Solar Digester?

Bayside, NY

OK! Based on all the advice and research that I've done it seems that the Biostack is the best buy. I do get a little bit of a discount with a coupon : )
Is there anything else I need to purchase aside from the bin?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
s there anything else I need to purchase aside from the bin?

No, Mluna, that's it.
Quoting:
How about Biostack bin vs. Green Cone™ Solar Digester?

zhinu, I went to the Green Cone site--very interesting. I think that utilizing this system is moving up to the next level of composting, what with the use of an accelerant, the below-ground digesting basket, etc. Nothing wrong with this--it's just that the Biostack is a simpler method. Takes longer to produce compost, and doesn't deal with all kitchen wastes (meat, etc.) like the Green Cone system.
BTW, there is a thread on the Soil and Composting forum on the Bokashi method of composting which might be of interest to you.

Is the Bokashi method what the Green Cone uses? I'm considering these, but honestly will probably end up with vermicomposting, even with the subsidies the bins are still quite expensive for my current finances. But I am interested in them for others I've talked to and for future reference.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I have 2 Biostacks and really like them. They're so much easier to turn (i.e. flip) than the single box type bin that I used for so many years. I actually flip the compost now so it breaks down much faster and I produce a lot more compost than I used to.

I like their versatility, too. I currectly have a stack of 2 tiers holding maturing compost which is almost finished and a stack of 4 tiers actively composting stuff.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I too went to the site on the Green Cone. Very interesting concept. If finances are a issue you might want to consider using the EM1 which is the mother culture for bokashi. That can be made in the AEM1 which is an acelerated culture. You add black strap molasses and water to the culture in a container with a lid. Set it aside for between to 7-10 days and check it for a ph of 3. Excellent stuff. I use both, but the initial buy for a bokashi bucket is not cheap. We've found using the AEM to be easier to work with. Do read the threads on this product. It's amazing and so are the results. Here's the website with additional information. http://www.eminfo.info/em-origins-etc-space-1.html and the EM1 site
http://www.eminfo.info/em-origins-etc-space-1.html Do feel free to d mail me if you have other questions. It's a complex subject to understand and Eric is a doll, but he works with it so much he sometimes forgets the rest of us are just learning. We've been using this about 6 months and the results are incredible! I only do organic gardening so this was of real interest to me. I have good soil, but boy has this stuff ramped it up!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

You can somewhat cope with Earth Machine by picking the whole thing up, setting it to the side and moving the compost over. Hopefully find some finshed compost at the bottom of the previous site. But if I had a little extra money and was starting from scratch, I would get Biostack.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.