My New Best Friend Blazer

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

First, I again want to thank everyone for their help with the sign I'm making for my DB and DSIL.

Next, I want to tell everyone about my new bestest friend Blazer. He was one of the two horses they brought home yesterday. Today we went up and I fed them some carrots from our garden.

Ok, let me back up a bit here for anyone who's not familiar with my be-bopping in and out of this forum. I decided last summer to face my fear of horses. I decided the only way to face that fear was to actually get up on one of those huge animals and ride. So, I started taking lessons. Then I got sick and had to quit. It's been almost a year since I've gotten to spend time with a horse.

Today I got to go see Foxy (the mare) and Blazer. I'd been told that Foxy was a bit of a witch and that Blazer was a bit of a skitzo. That was right on the money! Foxy is so easy to fall in love with. She's beautiful...those gorgeous eyes, even one of those pretty manes that's all wavy like it was just unbraided and hangs over one eye, *sigh* such a pretty girl. And she's so nosy and friendly...however, I never knew that horses could growl. LOL! She growled at Blazer while they were eating their hay. She wanted his...his and hers...so I pointed at her, told her no, get going...she didn't move and started to growl again. I stepped towards her and said "NO! GET FOXY!" and she left. The little snot. Honestly, I think she was mad because I was loving on Blazer instead of her. She reminds me of a spoiled little 13 yr old cheerleader, rotflol!

Blazer, on the other hand, has very high withers, is a bit too thin and has huge eyes. He's shy and is pretty much a gangly looking nerd among horses. He looks like he's going to take off running if you breathe too loud. You can tell by looking at him that he's high strung (I can tell, and all I know about horses is that they have four legs). If you hear some of the stories about what this poor horse went through before DB and DSIL got him it'll make you cry. It's easy to see that Blazer gets a lot of security from being with Foxy...and he keeps her in sight.

At the barn where I was taking lessons there were a lot of rules (no petting noses, no hand feeding, etc) and that always made me nervous that I was going to do something wrong. Today was so great. No rules! Just go into the pasture, feed some carrots and love on the horses. It was actually relaxing rather than having to worry about rules and what not to do.

Since this whole situation right now has been a rush job (explain later) there are still some thorn trees on the property that haven't been taken down. So I started going over the horses w/ my hands to make sure they hadn't gotten any thorns stuck into them overnight. Foxy had actually been eating the thorns last night, the goofball. I didn't find any thorns, but I did find a new best friend...

DH and DB were off checking the fence line since deer had run through it the other day. By the time they came back Blazer was in the middle of getting a nice face and neck rub...and was about half asleep, lol. DB couldn't believe it, and I had no clue that it was a big deal. I guess Blazer just doesn't do that for anyone but DSIL's DD (who lives in Philly...6 hours away)...his former owner. That broke my heart for him. Who was going to love on him now that his Mama is so far away? (and now has a new born baby to care for) Poor Blazer. Then he started rubbing his head on my chest and letting out those huge horsie sighs. I promised him that I'd be back tomorrow with a nice, soft brush and some fly spray (because it was either forgotten somewhere or misplaced, but no one can find it).

So, we left the horsies, ran home so I could change my horse haired shirt and ran to Tractor Supply for a nice, soft brush and some fly spray....and some molasses treats, lol.

Right now there is no way I'm getting up on Blazer to ride. He's a QH. He's actually not all that big for a QH. He is under weight, so we're going to have to fatten him up a bit. I'm thinking it may take a bit because he is high strung. I've also been told that he's as fast as fast, and I'm no where ready for that. Right now I keep wondering if I remember how to hold the reins properly. But, I *can* love on him, brush him, spray him down, give him treats and fatten him up...oh, and Foxy too. DB & DH work all day long and DSIL has a 4 month old to take care of. So, I think I just found myself a new bestest friend!

I don't have a good pic of either of them yet. I hope I can get one to share with all of you tomorrow. As soon as I get some I'll share them. I know you all will love Foxy, and will all say "awwww, yeah he has HUGE eyes" when you see Blazer! lol

Oh, yeah, today when I was done lovin' on him I went over to rinse my hands off in the horse's water bucket (the only water around right now....we have to bring water in from a spring down the road till later this week). When I walked over to the water buckets and stuck my hands in, Blazer came over and stood beside me and started sucking up the water and stood there for as long as I did, the little sweetheart. That horse just made my day. I can't wait to see him tomorrow.

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!