propogation of Holly

Mapleton, IL(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know if you can take cuttings from Holly to root? I know one question is what variety, but I have no idea. I bought a house and it has a huge Holly in front of the house. It is way too large for where
it is. I am attempting to keep sheering it smaller a little a a time, but I think I may end up disfigureing or killing it. I would love to start a couple small ones other places. I love Holly. I just don't love what I have. Can you start branches or root cuttings?

I don't know what variety of Ilex you have but I've rooted cuttings from Ilex verticillata cultivars before. Specifically 'Nana' and 'Spravy'. They rooted fine. Think I used Dip 'n Grow Liquid rooting hormone the first time but switched over to Hormex after that because that was what I grabbed first. Semi-hardwood or hardwood cuttings should work. Try a few cuttings right now and a few more in September and see how it goes. You'll probably be fine. I think almost all of my cuttings rooted so that's pretty good odds.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

In general, the older and more mature a tree is, the harder it will be to root (relatively speaking). That said, some species are easy to root whatever the age, and some are difficult whatever the age. Try to take cuttings from vigorous branches. Sometimes you'll find the best ones as fast growing sprouts in the inner and lower parts near the trunk., or at the top.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.