Viburnum Berries

Mapleton, IL(Zone 5a)

Do you need certain pairs of Viburnums to make them produce more berries? I purchased a couple this weekend. They are the Brandywine and the Blue Muffin. I was wondering if I need anything else to increase berry production. Also if they do need a mate, how close does it have to be.

I have the 'Blue Muffin'. It seems to set fruit well because of several 'Chicago Lustre' viburnums that are in bloom at the same time. I've got a few others that are also in bloom at the same time and I think 'Winterthur' might be one as well as the straight species of V. dentatum. Regardless, there are quite a few options out there for viburnums that should have overlapping bloom periods with your 'Blue Muffin'. Same deal for the 'Brandywine'. For my 'Brandywine' (just bought one this spring), I think the bloom period was overlapping somewhat with several of my straight species of Viburnum nudum and one 'Count Pulaski' and maybe even the cassinoides. Can't recall exactly, that 'Brandywine' is too new to me.Seriously, any viburnum with an overlapping bloom period should work to increase the berries. I buy most of my viburnums from Classic Viburnums out in Nebraska.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/5988/
You could call them and run the above by them and see what they think. They're pretty good sports and they do sell very healthy plants if you're interested in adding to the two you currently have. Haven't had one that I've bought from that nursery fail me yet.

As far as the distance question, mine are all within 5 - 10' of each other. That's pretty close proximity but I pretty much stopped using chemicals around here so I am loaded with pollinators flitting here there and everywhere. My bet is I'd probably still have decent fruit set even if my viburnums were planted considerably farther apart.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

Equil, the lure of the forum is too powerful - you just couldn't stay away...How is the environment and those nasty invasives? Life is good in central Alabama.

Did you know that every time you get d-mails that you don't know you have because you haven't been able to be around that you are sent an e-mail letting you know you've got mail here? Nice feature.

My state is making some decent headway in the invasives department. Looks as if they have a decent list of species to add to their existing hall of shame. I made some good solid progress this year in the ickies department. Cleared a new area of the property and found a mature Ulmus rubra as well as one that was limping along. Interesting. In the fauna department I found a new salamander that I've not seen here before ever on this property. It ended up in one of my window wells. Very excited as that's a good indicator the clean up is paying off. HerpMan is coming back over to check it out. He hasn't recorded one here for his survey and is chomping at the bit to get out here for a look see.

This past weekend we had a get together here with oodles of DGers. It was fun. A hub of activity with gardeners everywhere. Friday I'm meeting a friend at Morton Arboretum and we're going to walk around for the afternoon. Think I'll go early to have time by myself to hug some trees. On Saturday I'm going up north for a prairie walk on reclaimed land. All locally native species were used in the revegetation project. After that we're taking off again for the last vacation we can fit in before school starts. So busy since I retired. This summer will prove to be every bit as active as last summer when all is said and done only I have another new greenhouse to fiddle around in. More grow space in which to spread out and propagate! One last major hardscape project left for this property and might put that off until spring of '10 to catch a breather. The design process is beginning to consume too much time when I want to be doing other things. But then unfortunately you know first hand all about the demands of a major construction project... only yours couldn't be put off. So glad to hear life is good for you. You of all people deserve a break.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Equi, sounds like you have a lot of experience with the Viburnums.

Is there one that is your favorite? I was thinking of adding a few to my yard.

The birds like them, don't they?

Thanks in advance for any info. t.

No- actually just enough experience to get by with them. Since I have quite a few here, I do know about the overlapping bloom requirements. I've done ok propagating them from cuttings in the past and I have grown quite a few from seed. I definitely love the way they look and am particularly fond of the berries from a curb appeal standpoint. They definitely stand out and make a statement. Yes! The birds do thoroughly enjoy them and you certainly do love birds so probably a good choice to plant a few in your yard. I think my favorite is V. x burkwoodii followed closely by V. trilobum 'Hahs', and V. lentago. Love the height of lentago at over 15' and I love the shape of the leaves of all trilobum. Take a look at those three and see what you think. The V. dentatum var. dentatum and lentago were two of the very few plants I inherited with this property that I was appreciative of having everywhere. If you want a Viburnum that has that dentatum type leaf that doesn't attain the heights of the straight species, take a good look at the 'Chicago Lustre'. Mine are only about half the height of the straight species and the berries are equally as nice. Viburnums to me should be a staple in a landscape just like a Hazelnut, Spicebush, Ninebark, or New Jersey Tea.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Equi. I will save your post for reference. Lots of good info there! t.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.