What stole corn cob from Havahart trap?

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

We've been after a woodchuck with a Havahart trap. We did catch a skunk, so tried again. This time with a nice organic carrot with lots of green on top and a corn cob (with kernels). The next thing we saw was that the trap had closed, but there was nothing in it. No animal, and no food. If it weren't for the corncob, we'd suspect mice or chipmunks. Any ideas????

TIA
LAS

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

We use one of these traps often.
Sometimes the food is gone and the trap is not tripped. We see nice little hand prints around the trap. Racoons are tricky critters and are smart enough to reach over the tripper.

My guess is that a racoon got the food and then by messing with the trap from the outside, tripped the trap. (by tipping or bumping the cage, or even by poking their long fingers in and messing with the bar attached to the trip lever.

Only a guess, sure is a mystery though.

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

My brother-in-law suggested that our trap was just not big enough. A large woodchuck or racoon might not have fit in it completely. He would eat the food and then just back out, and then the sprung door would shut.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yup maybe. I never thought about yours maybe being the smaller version.
Mine is large enough for two racoons. The two seemed to blame each other for the situation they were in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.