What is this? and include detailed info if possiple.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

This beautiful guy (?) has taken up residense on my back porch. I think it is quite handsome. Perhaps it is my prince!!
I have discovered that he loves mealworms and has an lightning fast tongue. Anyway, would love to know more, so...................

Thanks lots,
Birdie =^;^=

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

It's either a common American toad or a Southern Toad. They look much alike, but the Southerns have larger knobs on their head. I would guess, Comon American. They like to bury themselves in dirt when it's hot, they eat all kinds of bugs and sit in shallow water to drink. (They drink through their butts) They can get pretty large. We wintered over one that after eating $5.00 worth of crickets a week, weighed just under a pound. They normally hibernate under ground.

Jyl - TY for the info...I guess, after reading your post, that he must 've been enjoying a "drink" as when I took that photo, he was indeed sitting in the shallow container of water that I had put out for hin to "drink" from........what an interesting way of ingesting ones liguids...wonder how they discovered that one?........Sadly, I could not find himm on the deck this morning. I sort of miss the little....er big bugger.......as different as he was...he was a pretty cool addition to my garden friends, I thought.....Sure hope he returns!

Put a light shining down twards the ground (a little desk lamp or something ) Turn it on when it gets dark and the toad will come to you! Mine hang out under my garden lights to eat the bugs they attract.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Your toad is a cutie. I have two. I didn't know thats how they drink. I wil put a pan of watery leaves in the gh for the one that hangs out there.

we had a light rain this afternoon and when I went out afterward there was a 2nd Toad. wonder if they are loaners or hang together?? This one is a bit smaller.
I have noticed the strangest thing on the one in the pic...l.when it gets excited about food (when I put MW's out ) the middle toes on each back foot wiggle! Looks like little twitching worms or bugs...strange...I wonder if that is a type of "lure" for other insects?? anybody know????? Can't believe I'm smitten over a couple of Toads now! lol

You know, I've rehabbed lots of toads over the years and never noticed if the toes twitch or not. I'll have to check. s for multiple toads, they don't seek out each others company unless it's mating time, but they aren't territirial either. If there are lots of bugs in one spot, there will be lots of toads. Toads do find favorite places and stay there for a period of time. We had one last summer that prefered my laundry room and continually came through the doggy door. I have annother that has spent the entire summer at the edge of my gold fish pond in the night garden.

We had a taod once that would show up just before winter almost every year and we would feel sorry for it and keep it in the house all winter and feed it crickets. When we moved from Rode Island to Michigan, he showed up and came with up. When we moved from down state up north, it showed up on moving day again and came with us here. We have not seen it in a few years now. We know it was the same toad as it was missing a toe on it's right front foot. (That and it was the only hugely obeese toad in the yard) We know it was at least 7 years old.

Now That is a funny tale! I wondered about the 2 of them together, cause at 1st I thought it was the big one till I saw them together and b that time the new one had already jumped into the (Robin nesting ledge, that sitsin a corner and is the big original toads "house"...just wondered if they'd be "roomies" or if I should rig up a 2nd toad cave ....well, at least here in NC I shouldn't have to Overwinter them, and I'm not moving any time soon so........I really want to observe the smaller one's toes though (I really cannot believe I am writing this) studying toad toes of animals that drink thru their rears (yep rear not ear, for those of you just tuning in! LOL!! come to think of it, maybe they only wave their toes for mealworms and most people that buy MW's begrudge feeding them to the glutonist HOSPs, let alone a fat resident toad..........Oh well.....we all luvs our critters!!

wing waves to yas!
--Birdie

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

LOL.. That funny. Maybe he just excited to see you and that is his way of saying, Hi! Hey I'm down here. : ) But you cna believe I wil try and get a hold of some mw's and see if mine wiggle their toes too.

OK, I went out and watched toads last night. Some were kind of screwing their buts in the ground like a cat about to pounce when they were about to go for a bug. Maybe it's a traction thing. Maybe they are shutting their butts so they don't burp up what they just drank. I think I'm going to catch a couple and put them in the winter toad cage and get some meal worms. This has got me intrigued. (and yes, I do have a terririum set up for toads, you have strange things when you are a rehabber. Right now there are two hermit crabs and an annole that was found in a flower shop

I'm really wondering if I should explain to my poor neighbor why I was laying under the windows last night. She has never quite looked at me the same since she saw me stripping off my overalls in the back yard and screaming. (There was a red squirrel in my pants)

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Hahahahahahahah.. Heheheheheheh. That so funny. Be interestign to see what ya discover. My toad is hiding out somewhere.

Today-- Well the smaller of the 2 toads has booked. George (I have named him---uh oh!) now lets me "pet his head"...although it seems to be more of "tolerates" than anything else. He doesnt know it , but he's in for quite a treat. I have given a try at breading MW's and currently have more black bretles than I or any 3 people could need I think I'm gonna offer him some......I'll let you guys know if he wags his feet, or just wiggles the toes..... LOL

OMG, the typo of breading meal worms instead of breeding just gave me the most hilarious images. I pictured you dipping them one by one in beaten egg and then dredging them in bread crumbs. Thanks, I needed that tonight!

perhaps breaded MW/s would be a good wau to use them up! lol wish I had a spell check, buit sometimes a good laugh is valuable.................thanks for the cooking idea!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

BirdieB ; I was going through the old thread and found this one of yours. I must say, I gave me a good laugh.

I miss him too!! I did see his mate (I assume) earlier this year, but not him. More cats in the neighborhood tough lately, + my poodle is relentless when he finds something to play with. Last year there was this box thing. Actually it was probably originally meant as a robins nesting ledge. Anyway it was in a rather hidden corner of my deck. There was an old casserole lid that I kept fresh water in for them and when the BlueBirds got their daily mealworms, so did the toads. I really got a kick out of them getting in the position for me to toss the mealies and watching them cock their heads and eyes.
Any,, I added another really neat wildlife experience that God has given me to enjoy!! Thank You Lord!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Yeah, God did enriched our lives, with all those wonderful creatures. Found a big toad too this summer. DH almost rain over him with the lawn mower. So glad he saw it in time.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I still have a smattering of WS containers on my patio, most of them seedling-less. But lil one here i seem to find in a different pot each day. Hope he is keeping my yard free from 'pests'

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I just saw this thread and I too have a garden toad. She's a big western toad and she has been on a steady diet of pillbugs, earwigs, and weevils this summer (I can see the pieces of them in her droppings.) I have to be careful turning beds in early spring because one year I accidentally dug her up where she was hibernating (I didn't hurt her).

I'm not sure if all toads are the same but you can tell males from females by their size and thumbs. Adult females are usually bigger than males but the males have enlarged thumbs to help them hang on during mating. You can also tell by gently holding them with your fingers on each side of their back (sort of a pinching motion, I wish I had a photo to demonstrate.) Males with make a peeping noise that basically means "Get off, I'm a boy!"

I helped with rare toad surveys in southern Nevada a couple of years ago and it's kind of fun to go looking for toads in the dark.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Just stopping by. I had fun. Thanks, Cam

Klamath River, CA

Just came across this thread. During the summer we have two toads that come up on the porch and dine on bar-b-qued bugs under are bug zapper.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat

Wow! a real arbeque stop for the toads!! I miss mine. I saw 1 the next year and none since then.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

What a nice barbecue setup for your toads, Adel. ;) I'm sure they'll be back for more.

Redwood City, CA

Just discovered this thread and haveing been laughing hysterically reading about toads. Do post more toad lore!

mine, the one year they came to my deck and lived in a platform type birdhouse (probably meant for Robins) They would always look up and come out of their cool abode when I went out to place mealworms in the BlueBird feeding station. They must have known that there were some for them too from my stash. It was so cool to watch them 1st eye the lovely mealworm goodies and then quick as a 'wink' snach each one

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.