Protecting my watermelons?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

What do people to to keep their growing watermelons safe? I've lost my first 3 so far to birds and bugs. #4 is now about the size of a softball (it's dark or I'd go take a quick pic), and I'd really like to actually eat one of these babies myself.

Any suggestions?

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Ziplock bags!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Might need some biiiig bags :))
Seriously, I have some I-think-they're-melons and was wondering the same thing. Big ziplocks it is. I'll splurge for them....

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Hefty makes a Jumbo 2 1/2 gallon size - that's what I keep cut watermelons in.

Good thing they're re-usable.

Glendale/Parks, AZ

Jill, make sure that watermelon is not sitting on the ground. Put a board under it, set it on a large coffee can, or tie it up in the air on a trellis. Lay an old sheer curtain on the watermelon and anchor it down to keep the birds from pecking. I have two watermelons I just found yesterday. One is growing on my trellis and the other is on the ground soon to be on the trellis. A particular piece of women's underwear makes a pretty good watermelon sling. In fact you can sling two at a time. Go to Goodwill and get a really really big one.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the suggestions! I just found another one hiding under the corn, about the same size. Off to go protect!

College Station, TX

I spoke to my dad in North Texas last night and he had a pack of coyotes come through and take ONE large bite out of every watermelon and cantalop in his garden. He's been gardening for 40 years, and he said he'd never had that happen before. He is fairly peeved to say the least.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I am wondering why watermelon should not lay on the ground. I have never had a healthy one go bad from that. I have had an insect or something enter butternut squash where they lay on the ground but not watermelon.

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Just wondering?... wouldn't the melons rot in the heat if they are in plastic bags? Seems like the moisture in the melon would be trapped by the plastic and cause rot pretty quickly. Maybe if you tried paper bags. Just thinking aloud.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, it's never happened, in my experience.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5a)

In the past, I have definitely seen insect damage where the melon made contact with the soil inside my raised bed. Right now I have them up on upside-down 1-gallon pots from the nursery, covered with some bridal tulle I had handy. I'm hoping that does the trick!

Birddog, so sorry to hear the coyotes got the best of your dad's melons. What a bummer to wake up to in the morning!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.