Queen's Circle's growth habits

Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

I have had a life long love afair with iris, and now that I am retired I am adding many new varieties to my collection. In 2006 I planted Queen' Circle, and it increased nicely and bloomed in 2007. By 2008 it had formed a great clump, but sent up only one bloom stalk. Then when the first bud opened, I discovered two more stalks coming up. This was just great, sence it stretched out the bloom time over an extra week. Now I am wondering if this is common or was this just a one time thing. Then too, I am wondering if it is always such a strong grower. It has had wonderful increase, and it's foliage is at least half again as big as the other varieties in that same bed.
NachusaronHope to hear from some of you other iris lovers.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I haven't grown Queen's Circle until this summer -- I just received it, but I bought it because my friends told me it was a wonderful grower.

South Hamilton, MA

Any iris which sends up stalks in sequence is a plus for the garden,There are many people who complain that irises don't last for a long enough period of time. Do other people in your areas grow QC? I think that someone growing the plant in the same area conditions would give you an answer.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Hello Neighbor,
I live in St. Louis, Queens Circle increases like MAD !!!! Many blooms on one stalk, it is a beauty, and the blooms are huge. Everyone that sets eyes on it, thinks it is incredible. Enjoy !!!!!

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I haven't grown Queen's Circle but I did photograph it at Schreiner's last year. I know there is a big zone difference, but comparing this patch to the other varieties in this part of the display garden, I would say it does considerably better than most. In this part of the display garden, the irises are grown in blocks rather than small patches.

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! that's a knock out!

Here's a close up.

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What a beautiful iris!

Dauphin, PA

Queen's Circle is especially stunning on a moonlit night. I had a landscaper contact me asking for iris specifically for a night garden - his client was a couple who are both doctors, and they work long hours, often not getting home until it's very late. So he designed a garden to be viewed during the late evening - imagine sitting on a deck when there's a full moon, glass of wine in hand......that kind of garden. He took Brookflower (similar to Queen's Circle but older, and more streamlined), Q.C., and three pure whites. I got the see the finished garden, which had moonflower vines and white roses and a little silver-foliage groundcover, I've forgotten what. It was really, really amazing.

katie

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

What a thoughtful landscaper! I bet it was gorgeous. I have heard of a "moon" garden in Santa Fe where a crescent moon shape was laid out as a flower bed then planted with Chinese Garlic Chives which are very white when they bloom. I would love to see it, but I wasn't told whose garden it was.

Katie, Cavalier's Cape is doing great !!!!!!!!!!

Dauphin, PA

Oh, good to hear! I love Cavalier's Cape. A regional magazine did a story on our iris gardens and had a gorgeous picture of Cavalier's Cape, so everyone who came to the open gardens wanted one. I love the changeability of it - every time you look at it you see different colors.

katie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.