Fall brassica sources?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I didn't start any broccoli or cauliflower transplants this year for planting this fall. They need to go in the ground here in a couple of weeks.

Anyone got a mail order source that will ship this time of year? I'd buy a bundle of each...maybe more.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Melody. Bonnie Plant Farms seems to the major supplier in the southeast. They do wholesale only, but you might qualify with a large planting. The other option is to visit you local feed and seed or any small vendor of Bonnie plants and ask them to order extra flats for you.

You might be able to find a local grower, but they are getting rare.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The local feed n seed uses Bonnie, but I don't know if they are getting anything from them this fall. No one plants fall brassicas except for turnips and mustard here...sigh...(don't know why, the bugs are much less active)

I'll call them tomorrow and see if they get their mums and pansies from them. Maybe they can throw in some broccoli.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They also have cauliflower but only White Cloud for fall planting. That cultivar does well here in the fall.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Yeah, we'd take a bunch of them too.

When the cukes and squash play out, I'd like to put bunch of both in their place.

JustmeLisa and I would split an order for each of our gardens. (wish I'd have gotten on the ball and started some a few week ago.)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Well, apparently everyone in west KY thinks I'm nuts. No one has access, or even is considering any fall brassica slips.

No one has an order for Bonnie even in the works.

I've dug around on the Watchdog and can't find anyone there with fall plants either, but it is such a big database, I could have missed someone.

Any other suggestions?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Melody, when is the latest you can set out plants (broccoli, collards, cauliflower, etc)? I'm wondering if when they show up here (Bonnie Plants) if it would be too late for your area. What's your latest set-out date for those crops?

Shoe

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

About the 15th-20th of august I'm guessing. Our 'first frost' is usually around the 15th of october, but we have another month...or more, till first freeze. That would give me 60 days before frost, which i know won't hurt broccoli or cauliflower.

I usually put cole crops in the first week of august...the 8th is the 'traditional' day.

I would love a bundle of slips of each. Not 'potted plants,' do you think that would be possible?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Bonnie's usually offers four-packs, so that's halfway between slips and potted plants! *(grin)

If my collard plants are looking good I can send some plugs of those (they just declared yesterday). Meanwhile I'll look around for slips here and get back to you.

Shoe

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Here they offer them several ways, but the largest for broccoli and cauliflower is the nine pack. Only cabbage is sold bareroot in bundles of 50.

Melody as late as the 70's, the classified adds in the Progressive Farmer had adds by small outfits selling bare root plants of cabbage. Don't remember any cauliflower or broccoli. Use to get bundles of plants back in the days, when my father was still alive and setting hundreds of them. I have not suscribe in recent years, but I suspect most of the small growers selling retail are gone. Most states have a state agricultural bulletin, in which small farmers advertise. I just looked at the Georgia market bulletin. Nothing there but blueberries and coastal.
http://www.agr.state.ga.us/mbads/Ads.aspx?CategoryID=481

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

Our little local independent nursery here actually is selling broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and brussels sprout plants for fall garden. I got a few. I mention it cause maybe there's a trend to this elsewhere in the country (?)

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I just mentioned the bare root plants because we get them that way in the spring. Bundled and banded in bunches. Two dozen in a bunch. Cabbage, onions and broccoli are available. I figured that they would be easier to ship too.

I still haven't given up but it is looking bleak.

Collards would be wonderful Shoe. I love them, and was planning on getting my cajuns hooked on greens. Seems that they don't 'do' any type of greens other than broccoli.

I haven't been to Lowes or the Big 'W', I was holding off till all else failed.

Blanket, TX(Zone 7b)

Melody, this may be a crazy idea, but you might try a little classified ad under "wanted" in your local newspaper - or better, if there is a weekly paper somewhere near you (I think people read weeklies more completely), or even in a shopper paper - the individual ads are usually really cheap. Someone who has more of their own starts than they can use might be willing to trade or sell you some.

Tina

south central, PA(Zone 6b)

Somebody is selling I think cabbage plants on eBay, but they are EX-PEN-SIVE!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Well, I planted seeds and they're just coming up.

Here's to another fall watching them head up just in time to freeze to death.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

papa, the newspaper ad idea is a good one, but I recommend posting on craigslist.com. that site is fabulous. it's how I got this years garden plot, to tell ya the truth.

I'm running into the same type of issue, melody. I've been calling around asking when they'll have their fall transplants in and what they'll have, and they pause and seem confused. I guess in Indiana we plant summer corn and tomatoes and that's all there is to that!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Web1-10 of 3,130 results· Advanced
See also:Images, Video, News, Maps, More ▼Health
Local
Products
QnABeta
xRank
See all...ResultsBevo Agro Inc Bevo Farms Ltd.
Bevo Agro Inc. Bevo Farms Ltd.

www.bevoagro.com · Cached page
Bevo Agro Inc. Bevo Farms Ltd.
Bevo Agro Inc. Bevo Farms Ltd. ... Bevo seeds a variety of field grown food crops. The most common are Lettuce, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower and Herbs.

www.bevofarms.com/field.htm · Cached page

Here is a big grower that sells exe plugs. I have personaly grown their stuff for years and a market gardener friend of mine gets several thousand every year. Don't know anything at all about prices but friend resells thousands of plugs for .25 last year was .20 and so it goes. Ernie

Thumbnail by eweed
Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I couldn't find an order page. Do they sell to individuals?

I found a source on line with plants the other day, but they wanted 1.79 per plant + shipping! I could buy broccoli cheaper!

Melody,
We have had a terrible time getting any brassicas here this year, especially collards. Why on earth that is so, is beyond me. I could've sold 5,000 collard plants at work in the spring.
So now I seed my own. They come up so awfully quick. In two days they had a leaf. In about 5 days they had the 2nd set of leaves!!

Can you obtain floating row covers and seed them yourself? I work at a hardware store (I won't mention which one here, but you could D-mail me if you want to find out where - I work in the garden center) that is a major chain and we have floating row covers in our warehouse but hardly any of the stores regularly carries them in stock. They can be ordered at no extra fee, are very large and fairly inexpensive.

GGG

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

HD carries Bonnie Plants in our area. Haven't checked them lately to see what is available. We are on our 22nd day(16 consecutive days) and counting of 100+ temps and everyone is hibernating. I hate August. And July was just as bad. Tomorrow and next day is predicted 107 and there is the index. Everything is "fried".

Christi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.