Summer photos

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Took a walk around the yard today. Everything changes so quickly. I LOVE digital cameras!!! Enjoy my walk with me...

June 23rd

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Today.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

June 23rd

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Today

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

The rest are from today.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Another

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Rock wall again, my pride and joy. Lot's of sweat and beers in that one!

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

New this year too. Well everything except the Kousa Dogwood.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

This will be the next BIG project. Waterfall/stream down the gully and a woodland garden up through the trees. Just planted a red rhodie today between two of the pines

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

The full view in the back.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

The front bed in more detail

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

In front by the garage

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Even got the neighbors hooked!!!

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

My lovely bride's area in the front.

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

And last is the "Kissing Bench"

Hope you enjoyed my walk as much as I did!

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
New Hampshire, NH(Zone 5b)

That was a nice stroll, Doug. Love the shot of the lilies and butterfly!

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

My neighbor found this Giant Soloman's Seal last weekend down at the river about 20 miles away.
(I might sneak over and steal it one night!)

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

That is a very striking photo when viewed at full size! Thanks for enjoying my walk.

Doug

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the tour, really enjoyed it. Love your rock wall, it's a real beauty and looks so natural, like it has been there forever.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Very nice tour; enjoyed every step.
I can see much sweat went into your little corner of paradise.
I sometimes wish I had access to little slopes, that I could accent but nearly flat is good for veggie garden too so I will be content with having to build short walls and fill with dirt, for shade gardens and such. Then figure out what might be the best to plant there. I still don't have this one, just the way I imagined it. It is still a work in progress.
Russ

Thumbnail by randbponder
Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

It did get a little further with it. But it still has a ways to go.
But I am working slower each year, so who knows.

Thumbnail by randbponder
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Russ they're always a work in progress!

Doug

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Believe your right. I would like it to be all perennials but I like a lot of the annuals too. I guess I just need to remember to dig up the bulbs, and store them. At least I can keep changing the color scheme.
Since we don't really have any trafic going by, it is just a little bit secluded so no one is complaining as to what would suit them better.
LOL
Russ

Thumbnail by randbponder
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

I do my gardening for my pleasure but it does make you feel good when a passerby comments on how well it looks. EGO,EGO,EGO.... The front bed with the Mole Bean is facing the road. When it first popped up my wife said "Are you gonna leave that growing there"???? Well now she says that it really looks good!!! We both really enjoy playing in the dirt!

Doug

I sometimes wish I had slopes too so I could add in a little rock retaining wall. I like how you worked around that Russ. I remember when I lived where I had slopes I wished for a flat yard! The little sweetie in your lap is adorable! Bet she loves to help garden! Beautiful picture of the iris'.

GayLynn

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Well GayLynn; She is a talker. That's great grandaughter, whoops I forgot which number. LOL But Daughter # 2s, grand daughter.
We have 16 of them to keep us young. She is 3 now. We see mor of her than we do the others an she lives in Omaha. Some time after Labor Day she is going to Ohio to spend some time with her grand mother. Gee it is hard to call our kids grandmothers, ha ha ha but it happens.
Here is a 4 generation with her.

Thumbnail by randbponder

My yard is anything but flat. I have come to realize the potential it creates, but it sure is a lot of work building all the stone walls and stairways. Not to mention eventually you run out of stone and it gets expensive to buy. Here's a little stroll through my summer shade gardens....

This message was edited Jul 28, 2008 6:58 PM

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

The view from the top of the staircase

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

Russ, I was guessing she was grandaughter not great grandaughter. Such a nice picture to have. They all look too young to be grandma's and great grandma's too.

Songs, wow, what a beautiful, peaceful setting. Just lovely. I can almost hear the water babbling and the birds singing.

shade perennial combo

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

Russ - what a nice 4-generation picture! Lovely family

Songs, very pretty. Which Pulmonaria is that? I have 2 Mrs. Moon planted and they were hit with powdery mildew real bad. Looking for some that are resistant.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

You guys are so ambitious but they all look so nice. Doug, I kept looking at those plants thinking they sure did look like my Caster Beans. And then you called them Mole Beans. I sure laughed at that and then had to take a picture of my Mole Bean in the pot on my deck.

Russ I have my perennial beds and then I have all my container plants where they are almost all annuals. Some begonias, brugs, etc.

BTW Russ, how are those begonias doing? Are they blooming yet? They surely should be by now.

Here you go Doug, Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette

Thanks Staceysmom! It's my little slice of heaven on earth. The birds love to play in the stream.

The stream winds around a little patio where I love to sit and have a cup of coffee...(sorry it's kinda fuzzy)

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

Unfortunately I don't know which pulmonaria it is. I bought it several years ago before I really started to keep track of names. I haven't had any problems with mildew though.

The stream then tumbles down a slope in a series of cascades...I'm sure I've posted this one before...sorry if you've seen it.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

And falls into the pond below

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

waterlily and reflections of the sky

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy
Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Songs that is drop dead georgous!!! Did you do all the work yourself?

Jeanette, they are called Castor Beans, Mole Beans, Dog Tick Beans and maybe a few more I don't know! The seeds do look like dog ticks and they do make castor oil out of the beans. They're my temporary shade in the back bed until I get everything established. I plan on doing nothing but Kentucky natives in front of the rock wall. I already have 4 Smooth Sumacs I dug up and transplanted. If possible everything I put in that bed will be dug up in the wild. I have two very small Hemlock trees I got this Spring and a baby rhododendron from last fall in pots until they get bigger. They all came from the mountains of Eastern KY.

Doug

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Very nice Songs. I really like the color of that Astilbe.

Stacysmom, I have a pulmonaria that is pretty much in total shade and it is pink and blue. Please don't ask me the name, a friend gave it to me. That is the flower is pink and blue.

Russ, I love the pictures every time I see them. Really nice. Bet you wouldn't trade that little girl for a sweet potato pie would you?

Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.