Is there a secret to making a tree "branch" out?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

So I have an almost 100% variegated Ginkgo biloba 'Sunstream'. It's now 6 feet tall with tons of beautiful, big, striped leaves. All sounds good so far, huh? Here's the kicker: it hasn't branched out at all. It's a 6 foot whip. When I first got it, it was the size of a pencil and I get about 18" of growth each year. This year I pinched the top off hoping that would encourage some action but nope. He just healed and sent out a new growth spurt from the same spot....straight up. Every year I think next year's gonna be the big branch out but deja vu. Maybe it's just an issue with this particular strain as I've seen some Ginkgo biloba 'Variegata' that have a horrible shape with branches just on one side. Like it can't rewire itself to be a tree instead of a branch. I'm babbling....

Does anyone have a suggestion? I know it's too late in the season to try anything but any light you can shed would be great.

Thanks.....

Here's a picture from this spring when he was just budding out. It's actually 4 feet from the fence....

This message was edited Jul 27, 2008 12:45 AM

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Time.

Nothing else needed, particularly not pruning.

Resin

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Patience and time.

Keep the pruners oiled and sharpened for the day when you actually have to keep up with that whole menagerie.

When they awaken, watch out. It'll be dybbuk's Scion Heaven, and you'll have drooling grafters loitering about incessantly.

One-stop shopping...

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok...patience it is.

I appreciate it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.