emerald ash borer

Delaware, OH

does anyone live in an area concerned with the emerald ash borer, which will eliminate the american ash as we know it.
well i do.
anyway , on a walk recently, i discovered a dead bug of great beauty. upon internet research, i came to understand it was an emerald ash borer...most all, actually all of the photos i have seen show the bug with wings closed. my specimen had wings open and is perfectly dried with no damage. thought someone might want to see the bug. apparently these entered the US in asian packing crates. now there is no turning back, the ash is gone, but not to be trite, new immune trees will evolve from the ashes and the planet will keep spinning and adapting to global influences that are as sure as the economic influences of a global economy. anyway, here he is.....

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Delaware, OH

and hereis another shot ofhim

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I cannot really see your bug as the picture is rather blurry, but I can asure you your local extention office would be VERY interested in that bug if it is indeed an Emerald Ash Bore.
Please call them ASAP and let them decide. There is much riding on this problem.

Delaware, OH

i am in constant touch, via our tree man, with the official progress of the insect in our area. unfortunately in our area, they have given up any measures to stop the spread. in michigan all the measures failed and while there were measures including quarantine, removal and burning , now they are letting nature take it's course, predicting the demise of all ash trees within 5 years. the insect has been reported via our tree man, but again, here in central ohio the insect has won it's freedom from man.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I agree, no-one is trying to stop nor should they with all the failures.. I wasn't sure if this was just a bug you came across and found out it was an E.A.B., thats why I asked if you reported it.
While they don't interfere, they do track it.

Delaware, OH

there is so much in our area, and our tree guy will report it officially if they are still tracking it. we have many large trees, some ash unfortunately. we are going to be topping the trees and planting ivy and vigorous perennial and evergreen climbers on the totems as we loose the trees. we beheaded one(or should i say the tree guy did) as a test a few years ago, and just did another one. the ash trunks will retain the old estate feel to the landscaping after the top boughs are dead.
the borer is the first one we have ever seen.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

niobe - That's a terrible thing to lose so many trees to these insects. We too are concerned in our area. So far, they have been seen in the north shore suburbs of Chicago and now Chicago itself and they have cut and burned these trees to contain them. It is uncertain whether this will be successful. They were able to contain the Asian Longhorn Beetle. The Ash Borer scares me terribly as this is all of the trees on our lot. My shade garden will turn into a full sun garden. We have mainly Ash on our other lot next door with a few Maple and a couple of Swamp Oak and of course the Elm which are slowly succumbing to Dutch Elm disease.
I have seen some of your pictures of your property and it looks heavily wooded and beautiful. It breaks my heart to know your trees will die. I hate to lose even one! I like your idea of covered totems though. I suppose I would do the same but they won't provide the much needed shade in the heat of summer like a nice mature tree.

Delaware, OH

i am hoping it isn't as bad as they are predicting. but i am just trying to get used to the idea. we plan to plant burgundy catalpas and golden flame locusts as well as the totems (trunks) covered with climbing hydrangea and other less vigorous climbers. thanks for the comments on my property. evolution is a fact of life. if the dinos hadn't expired we probably wouldn't be here! but it is sad on the short term.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, of course you are right about evolution... life goes on and we just must adapt, no choice really! You've decided on two very nice trees, the colors will complement each other nicely. Hopefully, you won't have to plant any/many!

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

niobe:

I'm about start master gardener class and one of our things is bugs. If you still have this is there anyway you would part with it? I most certainly would pay postage.

Please let me know.

thanks

Janet

Delaware, OH

yes. i would do this. i am not at home till sat afternoon , however. could mail it next week. postage not needed, will be glad to help out.
where is sagamore hills? are you into clematis?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Pretty sure that's a Tiger Beetle, not an Ash borer. See if you can get a better picture and post it on the Insect and Spider ID forum:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/bugid/all/

Delaware, OH

can take a better pic sat when i return home where the insect is enshrined in an airtight safe container. will re post and i thanks you in advance for your sharing of expertise.

Louisville, KY

Niobe
Purdue University has just found two emerald ash beetles in their traps in Georgetown , Indiana.

This is a small town about 15 miles West north west from Louisville.

Thats really bad news

Delaware, OH

according to my well educated tree man, it is non stoppable and all the ash trees in north america will be gone within 5 years of it being found in an area. we are resigned, yet open to a miracle. our tree man refuses to treat trees as he thinks it is a false hope and taking advantage of clients for no long term gain.he has removed all ashes from his property, something we are not ready to do, but we are thinking ahead as we have many, at least 20 mature trees.

Delaware, OH

i am going to take my bug specimen to someone today for better id. just checked tiger beetle on line and they look nothing like my specimen. will get some more info, try and take a better pic and repost it with what i find out. there are few beetle pics with wings open as my specimen has which makes it harder.

Milwaukee, WI

I believe I just found three D-shaped holes in my beautifully aged ash in our front yard. we received a notice on our door from the city & WI DNR last week w/ much info enclosed confirming they are now here.so I had my kids involved looking thru the material & I told them to watch out for all signs. My 6yr old was the 1st one to point out one of these holes yet we've not come across an actual beetle....yet. Im terribly upset if we will lose this tree.
Has anyone gone further w/ treatment, etc? Any luck holding onto them? I guess our tire swing idea is now out the window. ..pls let me know any info u have.
thx, natalie

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

Our cooperative extension has placed big purple glue traps all over in tree tops to see how many EAB's in our area. Guess they've had a few but not full-blown problem YET. The traps are just to take a count not a means of control.

Milwaukee, WI

morning. Are there any free services for checking trees?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.