Salvia expert Rich Dufresne in Atlanta Aug. 19th

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi All,

Just wanted any of you who love salvias, like I do, know that Richard Dufresne is going to be speaking at the GA Perennial Plant Association meeting on Tuesday night August 19th, 2008 on "Salvias for Southern Gardens." He is very knowledgeable and frequently shares his expertise on the salvia forum here at Dave's. He has also hybridized and named many salvia and agastache cultivars.

GPPA's meeting website: http://www.georgiaperennial.org/meetings/index.htm
Richard Dufresne's website: http://www.eclectasy.com/gallery_of_salvias/

I've read so many of his informative posts that I'm really looking forward to meeting him! :)

Maybe I'll see you there!
Danita

Ohhhh, thanks. I don't know if I can get there. But I will try!!

GGG

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

sounds great!! :)

Susan

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

ohh... I checked my calendar and have a conflict :( I'm registred for a class I've paid money for!

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

GGG, if you just need a ride let me know.

Susan, sorry you can't make it. :(

Danita, I'd love a ride but I'm wondering if you can make it here in time to grab me and get back there after work?...

I can probably get off work a bit early for something like this, considering it's educational and all.

GGG

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Just a reminder that this is happening tonight! :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

How did it go!??

:)

Susan

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Anxious to hear about it.

We had so much fun! Danita has probably been too busy planting all her salvias she purchased to visit Dave's Garden after Tuesday!! She found a boatload.
At first we shopped for plants, and then we went in to the lecture. And lecture it was. People, if you haven't already read what Richard Dufresne has written on his website, then you may have been lost. We went through Richard's world of salvias in lightening speed - to understand everything you needed to have some idea of the native geography and climate of these plants and a good sense of taxonomy. The man is a scientist, and it shows!!
After a wonderful meeting we met a few people and said our goodbyes. It is hard to leave other devoted plant people. A whole night of talking about plants...and ONE TYPE of plant. It's what we all dream of, lol.

What I liked best about the whole lecture were the slides and the fact that "garden worthy" something that Richard takes into consideration, but it does not rule his love for these plants. He loves each one for their individual and often minute reasons and grows them for that reason. The photos of salvias from his garden were splendid.

GGG

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, we had a great time! I think GGG sums it up pretty well. We are both fairly studied on Salvias so we really enjoyed it but my poor Mom who likes plants but isn't a plant nerd was lost. I got 11 new salvias including the very new and unnamed species SL411 and also a plectranthus related creature. They all got potted up yesterday so they can get a decent rootball since they were in tiny pots. Glynis bought some too but didn't go crazy like me. :)

Everyone at GPPA and Richard were very nice, the venue was lovely, and they have a nice social hour before the meeting complete with refreshments. Overall a very nice evening!

Here is a link to Richard's website with some of the info although not all the links are active:
http://www.eclectasy.com/gallery_of_salvias/GPPAtalk.htm

Danita

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

So sorry I missed it, Danita. :( Glad you both went and enjoyed yourselves. Thanks for the link. Now get your salvias into plantfiles for us all to have a reference.

Deborah

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

So glad you shared this with us Danita and GGG. Hope you will have photos to add soon of your beautiful new salvias. Nothing like a day of plant nerds bonding. :)

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

oh gosh... I'm glad it was such a great time.. I've got lots going on here.. Sorry I missed it :(

Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.