Summer or winter in Central America

Aspen, CO

Hi! I am designing a garden in Nicaragua. Locally, the rainy season (April to November) is called winter. Dec through January is dry and hot and called summer. Since Nicaragua is north of the equator, this seems backwards. The books I have refer to Meditteranean climate plants requiring a "dry summer" or "needs water in summer". What season are the books talking about?!!!!!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha supernaturals, and welcome.

Well you have stumped me, granted it's not hard to do mind you! As Nicaragua is north of the Equator I would have though winter would run December and January and April through November would be summer, despite when the rains fall...I will be most interested with what everyone comes up with as an explanation - how very weird!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Summers are considered the wet season , winters are the dry season. I believe they just refer to the seasons as wet and dry.

I would refer you to DG member placenciarita who is from Central America.
She can be found at this thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/881965/

I know Costa Rica encompasses a wide variety of climates and zones in a relatively compact area, and would imagine Nicaragua is similar by nature of their proximity. Some Meditteranean climate plants may not do so well in certain locations during the rainy season, unless the place you are landscaping falls in one of the arid zones.

Rj

This message was edited Jul 27, 2008 4:36 PM

Aspen, CO

Thanks to you both! I"ll try those suggestions. I think we are in a Northern section of "Pacific dry rainforest" and we are located right on the coast, so I expect this garden to be very challenging.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It sounds like it to me...I hope you take pictures for us to enjoy!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Rita did answer you on that thread....

Hey Supernaturals

My spot in Nicaragua is near the Caribe coast at 12 degrees N, so not as arid as much of the Pacific coast but, summer (warmer, dryer, and shorter than the other) season there usually lasts from Jan-May. Hope that helps.

Aspen, CO

Hi che_
I just dmailed you. I didn't realize you had answered this post. I hope to tlak to you more about Nica gardening. What is you garden like? I have a few photos of the native plants nearby that I will post and hopefully that will help narrow my conditions down a bit.
Thanks!

Zancudo, Costa Rica

Hi I am in Southern Costa Rica....my big question right now is figuring out if all the seedlings I just potted up from under my ylang ylang tree are really them! I cannot find a single photo of a seedling on the internet anywhere. Sounds like they must be, right? But I am having my doubts...it is a strange situation because I think I have some that came up from a seed I planted in a pot and they look different.
Just looking for anyone who knows about these.
Thanks

(Zone 10b)

I guess your weather in Nicaragua is like the one I have in the middle from Acapulco to Mexico city, a little like Florida but not like California at all. We have here very dry winters (no snow at all) and the rainy season is in the summertime.

The mediterranean weather is just the opposite to yours since their summers are very dry and sunny and the winters are cold and rainy.

San Jose, Costa Rica

Hi everyone:
I live in Costa Rica and almost all the rainy season is too hot in the morning and heavy showers in the afternoon, you may also consider the level of humidity that Nicaragua migth have because here it has been a major problem for my plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.