Baby adeniums!!

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

2 years ago I had so-so success with adenium seeds
i planted about 300 5 days ago and already 78 have sprouted lol!!
God help me find a place for em all lol!!
I had to plant them all as they were my first seedpods and I hand pollinated the plants!!
One of the mothers died due to my stupidity
I left a pot tray under her as she went dormant and the soil stayed wet, she root rotted grrrrrr.....
Lesson learned...
I also in my compulsiveness (my nature) decided to plant every plumie seed i had left lol!!
im down grafting about 30 plumies this week and will have tons of cuttings both known cvs and seedlings ive grown.
Looks like all be busy on ebay lol!!

wow!! not 1 comment..... :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/emoticons/SooBlue.gif

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Awww! Cute, LOL!

As for the seedlings, well done and good luck. I am not sure what else to say. This forum is a bit quiet at the moment, I guess everyone is busy and hasn't had time to check in. I haven't grown many caudiciforms from seed myself, mostly only Bowiea volubilis and a couple of the caudex forming euphorbias and they were all pretty easy. I find the trouble comes once you have to transition the plants into an adult growth mode with less water and periodic dormancy, then it can get a bit tricky, but that is a couple of years down the track from where you are now.

TTFN, KK.

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Malestrom, good luck with your babies.:-) Adeniums are really fun to raise from seeds.

Do you have a photo?

Best regards,

Martin

sure do (of course lol!)
Been down with the flu... :(

Mesilla Park, NM

Malestrom, how did you sow these seeds? How many have germinated so far, that's a good ratio for 5 days..!! you must have quite a few now. I don't visit here too much and just saw your post... great job there.
A.

pottng soil mixed with sand and chiken grit 2 inches deep
i push the seeds flat into the soil, cover with a light layer then water and go away.
Recheck in a few days.

Heres a pic of a seed tray of sprouts
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/Malestrom22/Adeniums/AdeniumSeedlings8-1-08.jpg

Mesilla Park, NM

Those look great, will you be grafting onto the seedlings? Thanks for the info..
A.

Ill grow the caudexes to be specially shaped
then ill let them flower once to determine if im keeping them or using as graft stock.
I may geta few lookers or a variegated one who knows.

Montreal, Canada

Hi Malestrom,

I just got some seeds off ebay that I intend to sow soon. I have to get sand, but what other material can I use instead of chicken grit. I have peat moss.

Please advise.

Charmaine

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.