Overwintering vines

Worcester, MA

I live in MA and have corkscrew ahd clock vines. Both are growing like mad. The corkscrew is on my deck where it is sunny ( theoretically this year) and has started to bloom. The clock vine is in a south window and is also doing well - no flowers yet. Is there any way I can overwinter both of them? I'd hate to have to throw them out.

Thanks

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Maureen, I have Corkscrew Vine (Vigna caracalla), and it grows from a big tuber. I carry it over from year to year and it just gets better and better!

To winter it over, I just let the foliage die back and bring it into a warm area - light is not needed - stop watering it about a month before your first frost. Carry it, still in the pot of soil it's growing in, and place it in a warm area of your house.

When it wakes up in the spring - (you will see signs of green growth), you can begin light watering again with a 1/4-strength fertilizer such as Bloom Booster.

I don't have a clock vine, so can't help with this one.

Worcester, MA

Thanks, that's a big help. So no water all winter and I will start to g row on it's own even if it's dark??

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, keep it dry - if you water the tuber and it has no leaves, it will rot. I bring mine out into my kitchen, under a window, in Feb., because our growing season is so short, and if I don't get it started in Feb., I won't see any blooms.

Worcester, MA

I'm a little slow. If it has leaves hang it up in a warm place and treat like a houseplant? And if it has not leaves put the tuber dry like a dahlia in peat moss or something and put is away till Feb.?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.