July Daily Weather,Part III Seasonal showers.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

With the 'early arrival' of 4 named tropical depressions many of us are catching up on rain.
79.0 °F / 26 °C
Light Thunderstorm Rain
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 5.4 mph / 8 km/hfrom the South
Wind Gust: 15.4 mph / 24 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 82 °F / 28 °C
Visibility: 4.0 miles / 6.4 kilometers
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1000 ft / 304 m
Mostly Cloudy 4500 ft / 1371 m
Overcast 6000 ft / 1828 m
I enjoy all of the hikes, overnight trips, and gardens you all post.
I'm aiming for a non coleus picture to start August with.
Please come by often.
Thanks for being here.
Sidney
Orangeola Lace Leaf Maple and Coleus

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I am here! OK not the first but reativlly close!
It is warm @ 88° breezy and I am tired.

(Zone 7a)

What's wrong with coleus, Sidney? LOL Should I pop the flowers off of mine? They are starting to bloom.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Yes Mam if you want to keep enjoying coleus deadhead . It will also help make them busier if you take the growing tips out. Just one or two sets of leaves. Usually before coleus bloom they send out flowers, they shoot flimsy leaves. I take those off with the blooms too.
They can produce seeds, but most are muddy.
If you want more d-mail me.
We have had so much rain that most everything I have has shot up.
To re-boot mine I am sending out bouquets not tagged but most are easily id.
Sidney

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Marsue – What’s a Lime Zinger?
Celia – Marsue’s hummer nectar recipe is the same one I use.
Kiska – Another gorgeous picture! Wow…
Sidney – You have a pretty garden! I didn’t know that you had to deadhead coleus. Mine have never bloomed though. I have 10 not quite blooms on the Brug you gave me! Yippeeeee! My Cherub blooms are still going strong.

82.8 °F / 28.2 °C
Haze
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 87 °F / 31 °C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4000 ft / 1219 m
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft / 3657 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 50% chance of evening thunderstorms. Patchy fog forming after midnight. Low 72. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I didn't see Marsue's reference as I swamped here but I assume she's talking about Xanthosoma ‘Lime Zinger’ . A BEAUTIFUL Aroid!

Hot and Humid!
Pond Tour this weekend so I'll be in and out...
We're going w/ our neighbors tomorrow.
Hoping to meet up w/ two or three DG'ers early.
Then we'll do drinks here later.

There's also a Garden Railway Tour going on here... so we may just stop by a few....

BBL
Ric

(Zone 7a)

Okay, thanks, Sidney. I have been pinching, I just wasn't sure about the flowers. I love the different colors they come in.

(Zone 3b)

The sun came out it got up to 62° so we took gkids to the "overflow swimming hole". It flows off the Knik Glacier so is a bit cold, but they loved playing in the water anyway.
Sugarweed~the coleous is so pretty.
Ric~have a great day at the event tomorrow. Sounds like a great day planned.
Hi Dyson~
MySharona~how pretty; hope you have a great weekend.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 3b)

The small plane was flying low above the Knik River. The Silver Salmon are coming upriver, on the tide; I think it may have been flying to the area for some fishing.

Thumbnail by kiska

I understand fresh caught wild Salmon puts Lobster to shame.
I do hope to get up there someday and see for myself.
Celia I have 1/10th of an acre so I go for the amazing colors. And they don't have to bloom to show out.
All this rain demands a hard pruning.
Two tenths of an inch.
Sidney

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Good Morning! It's Saturday, my favorite day!
Right now, 78F which feels downright cool.

Kiska: I complain a little when the heat and humidity get to be the same 90's figure, but I love the heat really. Couldn't do a cold climate.
Marsue: I have a Lime Zinger. Last summer the ducks chewed it to the ground and it was slow to come back, but it looks pretty good now. I love the color!

No rain in a few days, but we've had rumblings, so I'm hopeful. :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sidney: gorgeous coleus. wish I could partake but no place to put it--maybe next year!
Sharon: Lime Zinger is a type of Elephant Ear.
Ric: You are far more "educated" than I am about aroids! LOL Enjoy your garden tours this week-end--sounds like fun!
Kiska: A good time for the gkids! Neat photo of the plane. We could use some of your cooler weather down here!
Deb: gorgeous yellow flower! What is it?

"Dog days" of summer are definitely here! See heat advisory below. (I wonder why they call them "dog days"?)

Today
Isolated T-Storms
High 94°F ( will "feel like" 105º+)
Precip 30%
Wind: WNW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 58%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 6:13 AM CT
Avg. High: 92°F
Record High: 102°F (1986)
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy Overnight
Low 73°F
Precip 20%
Wind: WNW 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 77%
Sunset: 8:15 PM CT
Avg. Low: 69°F
Record Low: 56°F (2000)

Heat advisory today and tomorrow with heat indexes between 105º and 110º :o((

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Marsue: That's a Gazania. Sorry, should've said.
The story is that they call these dog days because it's when the dog star (Cirius, I think) is high in the sky. That's the version I've heard anyway.
Deb

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for that infor, Deb, on both the "dog days" and the flower! :o))

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

Deb those are some gorgeous blooms :-)

We got our day of summer yesterday! A high of 73°F!!!!!!!!!! - The warmest day in 4 years. The last time it was this warm, Hildur Eva was 1 and Selma 5 ........ wonder how long we'll have to wait for the next one ;-) lol Does NOT happen every year that's for sure. Anyway it was a blissfully warm day - the girls could run around with bare arms and feet without a chilling wind. So nice! :-) Too warm to do much of anything though ;-) lol. It was partly sunny, mostly a thin veil of clouds filtered the sunlight so it wasn't uncomfortably hot. Clouded up last evening with a bit of rain and wind last night.

Today it's sunny, windy (:-P) and 65°F so it's still pretty warm. Too bad about the wind - Hildur Eva won't go outside because the wind's too cold. She hasn't even been out to test her theory ....... this much wind just usually means it's cold outside. lol Usually it's not 65°F though ;-) lol

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

(Zone 3b)

51F gray w/light rain.
rann~sounds like a day to remember; glad the girls enjoyed the warm day. Winds can sure change the mood in a hurry.
Deb~at least we're in the right part of the country for our needs. I sure couldn't do hot....the Gazania is gorgeous.
Sugarweed~not too sure about lobster, but the Silver Salmon is certainly one of the best of the varities, in my opinion.
We just finished smoking and canning several. Would be great if you could come up.
marsue~sure looks as if you could use some cooler weather there;
June pic

Thumbnail by kiska
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Too warm to do much of anything though ;-)

LOLOLOL Oh, glory, Rann... I'm going to be giggling about that line all day! ^_^

It's 83° now and is going to be pushing 100° by this afternoon. We're going to a RU here in Houston. It has actually started already, but after being up early and rushing out the door every day this week, we're taking our time today. :-) VBS went great - and we're all glad it's done for a year! It's always kinda sad to see 2 weeks worth of hard work come down after everything is over. I'll post some pictures later... I'm waiting for the camera to unload all of its photos so I can pack it and we can get going. I'll talk to you all later!

I'm thinkin' the volcanoes in Alaska didn't erupt quite like this one, kiska... It's as close as we could come to it here in the flatlands of Texas, though. LOL

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
(Zone 3b)

MarylynT_X~
Have a great time today~in the heat,no less.
That's a magnificent volcano, would fit nicely
with the ones here.
Kiska

(Zone 5a)

LOL - Marylyn. Yeah I thought you'd get a laugh out of that! ;-) lol That's a nice looking volcano :-)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Rann: That made me laugh, as well. Our LOW last night was around 75! :) Glad you and the girls had a summer day!

Small t-storm just passed through, just as I was putting the last transplanted daylily in the ground, so that came in handy. Looks like about 1/4". Not bad. We'll take it!!
Deb

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Quoting:
LOLOLOL Oh, glory, Rann... I'm going to be giggling about that line all day!

Yeah, me, too Marylyn! Currently 98º with a low of 74º forecast here! That's a great looking volcano. VBS must have been a "blast"!

I'd take a quarter of inch of rain right now, Deb. Lucky you! :o))

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on July 26, 2008
89 °F / 32 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 24%
Dew Point: 48 °F / 9 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.86 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft / 2438 m
(Above Ground Level)

In February of 2007 I got Boo-Boo, a goldfish for the pond. He was pretty small so we kept him in the house and I figured I'd put him in the pond in the summer. I got pretty attached to him and decided I'd wait and put him in the pond in 2008. I still was reluctant to do it but he finally got big enough that I couldn't keep the water clean, so I put him into the pond yesterday. It's funny how you can get attached to these little guys. I couldn't imagine not having a fish in the house, so I got a new goldfish today. We'll keep him in the house until he gets bigger. Tentatively, his name is Torpedo. He's a pearlscale. http://www.goldfishsociety.org/optimized/fopt51.jpg

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It was HOT and HUMID for the Tour!
Then about an hour ago we got a brief spritz.
It looked like we;d get hit hard and POOF it disappeared....

The Tour is going GREAT!
We went w/ our neighbors and hooked up w/ Joycet just after Noon at Moonlit's house.
We seperated and hit some different sites.
She and her party then came over here for an hour or so before returning home.
Off to Edit and get the Cameras ready for tomorrow...

Ric

(Zone 7a)

What a cute little fishie!

Rann, I'm laughing, too. (It's actually more of a snort/laugh...☺)

We have 89º right now and it's breezy. Hopefully it will cool off some and we should have a little more rain. Maybe.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kelli: pretty little fish! He doesn't look much like a "Torpedo"! LOL
Ric: looking forward to the pics of the garden tours. My DH has some cousins who are moving to the Macedonia area from Las Vegas as I type. They are elderly and have quite a bit of family up there. They just lost their only son in a boating accident in March so they are moving back "home" to a new independent living place for seniors. Hopefully it will prove to be a good move for them.
Celia: pretty gaillardia. Yours are more orangey than mine.
Today::
Isolated T-Storms
High 95°F
Precip 30%
Wind: SE 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 60%
Sunrise: 6:14 AM CT
Record High: 102°F (1986)
Tonight:
Isolated T-Storms Overnight
Low 73°F
Precip 30%
Max. Humidity: 73%
Sunset: 8:14 PM CT
Record Low: 58°F (2004)
80º on my backporch at 8 a.m.
Going to be HHH today! DH just came in with the newspaper. He said there are clouds and thunder to the north of us with a cooler breeze coming from that direction. Hopefully that means we will get one of those scattered showers soon. Sure hope so!
Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Here's Garden #16

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157606391548863/

We call it 'The Castle'.

BBL off to the PONDS!
Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! We had a good time at the round up, and got lots of nice plants. I tried to get a babysitter because I thought the bunnies (and us, too!) would have a better time at home, but all of my usual babysitters were busy. It's just as well, cuz the bunnies had a great time. :-) I planted all of my new treasures when I got home... it was hot, but I was already sweaty and hot, so I figured I might as well be dirty, too. LOL We have lots of shade, so it wasn't too bad out there. I'm glad I got it done yesterday, because today is going to be even hotter and the mosquitoes are going to start getting really bad out there as all of the eggs that were laid during our rains last week start to hatch. We ended up getting almost 3 inches of rain from Hurricane Dolly. It was very welcome!

Torpedo is very cute, Kelli!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (25 min ago)
Temperature 76 °F 24 °C
Dew Point 73 °F 23 °C
Humidity 91%
Pressure 30.01 in 1016.1 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir SW 220°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 5 mi 8.0 km
Heat Index 80 °F 27 °C
Current Conditions Mist (I'm not sure where this "mist" is falling, but it's not here!)

This message was edited Jul 27, 2008 8:27 AM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Good morning!

Overcast and humid 74F. Just generally a damp gray. ;)
Deb

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Marylyn, so glad you had a good time at the RU and the bunnies, too! They must surely be following in their mom's gardening footsteps! :o)) Sorry about the mosquitoes but the rain is good!

I can certainly see why you call it the "castle", Ric! and the pond pics are just scrumptious! I can hear the sound of the water trickling over the rocks. What a lovely place! Just looking at those photos certainly makes one "feel" cool even if the temp is hot!

Not raining here yet, but DH says it is going to. We'll see. The clouds have cooled things down a couple of degrees--it is now 78º.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 5a)

It was another warm day today, started out sunny this morning, much calmer than yesterday and around 68°F, clouded up in the afternoon and cooled down a bit, about 62°F now at 6:30 pm. The girls have been enjoying the warm weather in the "pool" I bought them (a hot-tub size inflatable pool) with warm water ofcourse though ;-)

Ric- the pond photos are fantastic. I can't imagine having a garden big enough to fit a pond like that! Wow! Love the waterfalls :-)

Marylyn - sounds like fun! It's always so exciting to bring home nice treasures :-) Too bad about the mosquitos.

The girls in the summer "heat" on Friday :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 7a)

We have rain! Not much but every little bit...

Darrell told me a couple of days ago about another DGer who had some diffculties. Aggiegirl. Some of you might have seen her around. She has some wonderful friends who are willing to do anything to help.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/868153/

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Wow, Celia, what a great story! I would encourage all of you to listen to it. You can find the link to NPR on the thread in the link above! DGers are the best!! I'm just sorry I didn't know about this until today.

Great photo of the girls in your garden, Rann--the flowers and the girls are so lovely!

(Zone 3b)

54F/ raining off and on but all in all, a good day.
rann~the girls are growing up~ so cute. Glad you've had another nice day.
kelli~cute little Torpedo; how cool to have had the goldfish for so long.
marsue~ "cooled" down to 78 sure sounds "odd" from here:)) Hope you've enjoyed the cool down.
MarylynT_X~bet the plants will be happy in their new surroundings:)
kwanjin~ will check that out after here.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Hey, guys ! I'm sorry I haven't been here for so long, I miss you all so much, especially your gorgeous pics! I have so much to do arround the house, cleaning and setting things up...when it was already set...somehow...the carpenter came and made more wood dust(!), back to vacuuming!LOL
I already had my first visitors yesterday : one of Cici's colleague from work and her DH, very good friends of ours. She is a registered nurse, like Cici and he was an opera singer, now retired. They are funny and love dogs ! Both were so surprised about the house, loved it and took several tours to see it better. They were so nice to come and bring us an old debt, so we can pay the workers for finishing the house. They came with mititei, beer, coke and ice cream for us, humans and crunches for the doggies. The grill works great ...we already had a barbecue on Saturday, Ionut is the barbecue man!
Meanwhile a worker put on the tiles on the entrance stairs...they had to be broken off because they weren't well done...some other waisted money !
The good thing is the roof man came too and the fence man is going to come tomorrow...things are finally coming to an end! I managed to clean up and order things inside the house and even weed a bit . The weather was great on week-end, sunny and it got warm again, but not so hot like hot July, thank God! I have pictures, of course, but I had no time to upload it...hopefully today , when I get back home.
Hugs,
Adina

Port Charlotte, FL(Zone 10a)

It threatened to rain all afternoon...just got about 7 drops tonight. Was about 90...very humid though.

Thumbnail by KatG

Welcome KatG!

I am hopelessly behind here! We had a very HHH weekend, but did receive 1" of rain in a pretty volatile thunderstorm yesterday. Gosh it was miserable! LOL!

76.1 °F / 24.5 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 90% edited to add AAACCCKKKK
Dew Point: 73 °F / 23 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013.1 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 76 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. Slight chance of showers early in the morning...then chance of showers and thunderstorms late in the morning. Showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 88 (yeah right). South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

Sidney - Look!

This message was edited Jul 28, 2008 7:05 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: love that photo! Is that purple sage/salvia in the foreground?
Adina: welcome back! Moving is always hectic and there are always things that need to be completed, "set-up", etc. It will "smooth out" soon. Hooray for your first barbecue--made me hungry just reading about it! LOL!
Welcome to the weather thread, KatG! Very pretty palm trees in that photo. it threatened rain all day here yesterday with a cloud cover but nothing materialized in spite of my DH's predictions! :o((
Sharon: congrats on the 1" of rain! Lovely brugs! How is Gary?

Today:
Partly Cloudy
High 99°F
Precip 20%
Wind: S 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 55%
Sunrise: 6:15 AM CT
Record High: 105°F (1986)
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy Overnight
Low 74°F
Precip 10%
Max. Humidity: 68%
Sunset: 8:14 PM CT
Record Low: 57°F (1994)
We are under a heat advisory until 9 p.m. on Tues. CDT with afternoon heat indexes from 105º to 110º !! Yikes!!

mystery rose

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Anybody talk to Joey lately?

74°F with 96º later. More clouds and thunder. Our mts are so dry now. Lightning only makes more fires. I'm surprised we haven't had any yet.
Feels like: 74°F

Barometer: 29.9 in ↑
Dewpoint: 55°
Humidity: 52%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 9 mph S
Sunrise: 6:21 AM
Sunset: 8:46 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

Good morning~
52° Overcast. Highs to high 50's low 60's.
Thanks, too.
Welcome KatG~what a beautiful and serene setting you have.
I've not heard from Joey, either.
marsue~the wildflowers in foreground could be either monk's hood or maybe delphinium. Love your mystery rose.
MySharona~a volitile thunderstorm~must have been awesome to hear. Too bad about the HHH.
Adina~love what's going on at your new house. So happy for you.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Marsue – Do your NOID roses have a little white varigation in them? They look similar to mine.
Celia – I’ve been looking for Joey for a month. Where did she go? Pretty flowers!
Kiska – Beautiful picture : ) We had another bad storm come through today. The office closed at 4:00 – Yay! It was nice to get leave a little early.

Gary had a great week last week. He did so well during chemo. He is so funny. There was a new guy in for treatment on Friday. Gary's first question right off the bat..."You aren't going to be sick are you? I can't handle it when people get sick"! LOL! Gary had me cover him up from his head to his toes with the blankets, put his earphones on and sang along to the movie Sweet Home Alabama. He did the lalalalalalalala thing when the man started coughing. Everyone was so tickeld with him.

We've been watching his vitals very closely. His resting heart rate is normally very high (78) so we have to give him Lopressor if it gets over 100. It's been over 130 at times. That freaks me out. All I think is heart attack.

He had a shot today to boost his white cells and had to have some blood drawn. The doctor asked nonchalantly which hospital we wanted Gary taken to if he got sick. Now we have to watch for fever.

Gary has a 1 hour appointment tomorrow for chemo.Then he's off for a week.

76.8 °F / 24 °C
Light Rain
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 71 °F / 22 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 3.8 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 29.95 in / 1014.1 hPa(Falling)
Heat Index: 77 °F / 25 °C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1800 ft / 548 m
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m
Mostly Cloudy 12000 ft / 3657 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Low 74. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Don't look Kiska! Are they doing what I think they're doing? LOL!! This was a first for me!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.