Unwitting gardener man tends marijuana plants...

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

With all of the "weeds" I have unknowingly cared for this one made me laugh!

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A 73-year-old Dutch man was astonished to learn from police that the begonias he had lovingly tended on his doorstep concealed a secret marijuana plantation.

"Police officers suddenly noticed marijuana plants sprouting from his begonias," a police spokeswoman in The Hague said on Friday.
The Hague pensioner promised to destroy the marijuana plants, which he believes were planted by local youngsters, while preserving his begonias.
Earlier this month the Dutch government set up a task force to crack down on marijuana cultivation in the country.
Growing marijuana is illegal in the Netherlands, but sales of it and other cannabis-related soft drugs in coffee shops have been tolerated for decades.

(Reporting by Alexandra Hudson)

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSL567319920080725?feedType=RSS&feedName=oddlyEnoughNews

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

That's a riot!!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

LOL, that is a hoot. Sure the old guy blames it on the kids, do you buy that? Check those "weeds" very closely.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

'Bongonia'!

Oh that is a good one. Wonder how long they had been growing there???

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

And medical grade whatever the ingredient in pot is that reduces pain can't get approved by the FDA!

(Zone 4a)

That is a cute story....I find it funny! Poor guy though teehee....

Metrowest, MA(Zone 6a)

If it had been anywhere but Amsterdam I might have believed it. Now how did THAT get in my begonias on my doorstep?! I wonder how he went about destroying them and IF they even hung around to make sure he did. Loool..

A little off topic.. Back when I was in the Army in Germany soldiers in my unit loved to visit Amesterdam on the long weekends. They would tell us about going into the coffee shops and being given a menu upon request with all of the drugs available. You knew word had gotten out that someone had been there when everyone was called in for an unannounced "pee" test first thing Mon morning.. And wouldn't you know the "randomly" selected names always included those in question... ;)

I love Reuters oddly enough.. Funnier than the Sunday comics!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2008 8:35 PM

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Bongonia is right... would make me say whoopsie ... did I grow that?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That is funny, there was an urban legend that there was marijuana growing in a planter at a courthouse near here. I still bet it was just cleome.

Like the one in my kitchen.

Thumbnail by
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

NH woman wittingly tends marijuana plant?

What is the real name, the scientific name or genere? I hope I asked that right.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Cannabis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Melly - what a fun thread! Thanks for lightening my day with this!

Bongonia! LOL, Victor!! One of your best!

Thanks, Louise. Now I'm hungry...

I let this go for almost a day. It is called

False Aralia
Schefflera elegantissima

Sure does look suspect, doesn't it, Sherrie?

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Sherrie - don't answer that - there may be a Nark in the group. ROTFLMAO!

I heard that "people" used to wire little red Christmas ornaments to their plants to so they would look like cherry tomato plants to helicopters flying overhead. (Remember I'm from California where Cannibis was once a cash crop in "certain" communties.)

I don't care if there is a NARK in the group or not, Come Bust me. You will be wasteing tax payer dollars, simply put. I dont know if this is true or not a young freind said this - You can plant 3 to 5 pot plants and the heat they put out will equall on big pine tree on the infra-red.

Bongonia! tee hee - too funny.

So we can heat our home with them in that case. How 'green'!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

"But, Officer, I'm just trying to do my humble part to be ecologically friendly. It's just another alternative."

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Can almost see you batting your eyelashes, Jan!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Um...with 6 brothers, one was bound to try growing it. My Mother (bless her soul) couldn't wait to show me how nice Doug's "Tomato" plants looked! I didn't have the heart to tell her so I just told Douglas to get rid of them or I would squeal like a pig! Well Brian is younger than Doug, but never smoked it but has a green thumb....Yup he had to try growing one too. Good Grief!! The thing was over 8 ft. tall and huge! He put a strand of Christmas lights on it and then asked Doug what he wanted for Christmas. LOL Then Dad got word of it ( I have no idea how)....he cut down and burned the "Christmas Tree". However, Dad was acting a little strange after burning that tree!!!!!

This message was edited Jul 28, 2008 7:27 AM

Too funny!

Very funny! Bet he practically ate the roast himself!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

I am dyin laughing.
A guy I knew down the road supposedly had a stand of "growth" on their farm and had it booby-trapped. He disappeared (literally) and has never shown up. HMMMM........... I wonder if he did himself in unwittingly. My dad always suspectd his brother of doing a dastardly deed. I don't think we'll ever know. The farm is now developed and I never heard of them unearthing a body.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Forty years ago I bought this property from a Luthern pastor and his wife. The state police identified the beautiful weed in the fence rows as non other than the happy weed. It took three or four years and a bunch of Round Up to get rid of it. The reason for the impending divorce of the pastor and his wife may have been unmentioned. The condition of the plants found under lights in the attic were not tomatoes either. They were a bit stragley as found by the air conditioning serviceman when checking out the AC. That find got me another five gran off the asking price. More than one way to skin a cat. Must have been planted there by a red squirrel. :))))

You sly dog, Dwaine!

Craryville, NY

You guys "crack" me up! Bongonia indeed, V. Well, I think I better get me "butt" in gear, or I will be "smokin' " later when my partner in cannubisial bliss arrives! Er, connubial. I meant connubial. Honest. Hey, pass the Doritos...man.

Craryville, NY

BTW, in all seriousness (did I say that?) - what "weed" looks like the happy happy stuff, but breaks with butter-yellow flowers around mid-end june? Anyone know? I will try to get a photo, first I thought it was sweet fern, but then realized it grew in whirls I guess is the best way to express it. it is a very pretty plant, therefore I have not eradicated it. Thanks all you plantheads :-)))))

What kind of happy? I must of missed something.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Morrigan seems pretty happy happy!

Craryville, NY

I'm always happy..except when I'm not, Carrie :-)) I will try to photo that plant tomorrow, but it is no longer in flower, so...maybe someone can ID it for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.