what do I do with this mango 'seed'

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

It's a few days old, from the produce aisle, I'm sure. A friend passed it on to DH. Do you think it might be viable, and if so, what the heck do I do with it? :)

Plant it Tig'' Works for me'

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

tiG... one of my fondest memories is of a mature mango tree I saw when I was a teeneger. My grandfather told me I had planted the seed as a 5 year old in his yard!

So, just plant it!

Newnan probably is a bit cold for it overwinter, but what have you to lose? You could pot it and bring it inside overwinter... I am not sure what they need to polinate when mature enough to set fruit.

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

Here are some directions for planting a mango seed. I haven't tried it myself.

Remove seed from inside mango. It is surrounded by a thick cardboardlike husk. This husk has many soft hairlike fibers on it. Scrub husk to remove as much orange fruit as possible. Let the husk dry overnight.

Clip the tip ends of the husk. Using scissors, carefully cut the husk open like an envelope. There is a big beige seed inside.

Take seed out and soak it overnight. Plant it lying flat in soil mix. Cover seed with 1/2" soil. Place in warm sunny place and keep damp. Shiny red leaves will appear in 3 weeks. Not all mango seeds will sprout.
Good luck.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

thank you talinum!! it's soaking now:)

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

tiG, I did it last year!! When you cut it open it has a big bean seed looking thing inside.Mine looked like it had already sprouted when I cut it open.Stuck it in dirt and ITS STILL ALIVE!!!I haven't killed it.Its about 8 inches tall and I'm so proud of it! CC

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

great CC, and I just read you saying that you couldn't get things going from seed!!! tsk, tsk! :)

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

I believe I've been inspired to go buy a mango.

An interesting book is "Garden Wizardry for Kids" by L. Patricia Kite. ISBN 0-8120-1317-4. It has all kinds of fun things to try--peanut, pomgranate, gingerroot, you get the idea.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I luck out once and a while!!!LOL,I should take a picture of all my barren seed trays with no plants!!!

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

bet they look like mine:) actually I have 5 trays going right now that I would just sit and weep if something happened to them. All are sprouting and I'm terrified of rain, mold (it's extremely humid), birds, and just about anything that might bother them. Brugs, daylilies and passiflora, my hearts desires. Did have great luck with hardy geraniums though, I'm stunned!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

After enjoying the mango, I just plant flat in about 1 inch deep in a pot. I usually have 40 to 50 percent sprout if the squirrels don't dig them out. They also need to be placed high enough so they are not a temptation to my cocker "Bubba". I have some about 6 feet tall after a couple years and have given countessly many away to friends! I'm thinking about putting one of the six footers in the ground and take my chances!

Lynn Haven, FL(Zone 8a)

Well, on the down side, I just planted one and it is growing mold! I guess it had too much moisture. The rainy season you know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.