Can anyone help me ID this please?

Victoria BC, Canada

These started to bloom when I came back from a week away. Can someone tell me what they are?

Thumbnail by maggie234
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi Maggie, I think it's Lysimachia clethroides

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/656/

Victoria BC, Canada

That's it! Thank you! It does look like a gaggle of geese, I really think they're beautiful.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Yep, Gooseneck Loosestrife...Hope it doesn't run from you like it does here...Beautiful, but planting it has been one of my deepest regrets.

Victoria BC, Canada

That's a shame. I really hope it isn't too aggressive. The only thing I have right now that's out of control is a small perennial violet of some sort. Now that's a plant I'd love to get rid of!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe someone in your area will have a bit more insight into how it behaves there. Here, the term thug doesn't begin to cover it. Love the look of it, hate how it runs under the soil and comes up alllllll over...

Victoria BC, Canada

I will definitely check into it. I don't need no thugs, I can barely wrap my head arounda a garden as it is. This is my first full summer of gardening. It's delightful, but bewildering!

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I'm in zone 5a.I planted mine in the ground in very large pots woth the bottoms cut out.So far,3 or 4 years without a problem.Lynn

Victoria BC, Canada

I'm around the same zone as you I think. It's a good idea to use a pot. If I see them get invasive I'll pot them up. Goodness knows I have enough of them (pots). Thanks for the tip.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Maggie,
Be sure to use very large pots and leave a little of the rim above ground so you can easily tell where they are.Lynn

Victoria BC, Canada

Thank you, that's good advice.

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Glad you found a way to enjoy a beauty without it taking over:-)

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Lasts forever as a cut flower and makes a beautiful arrangement.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I love this plant! I planted it where it has room to run, but also dug a deep trench around it. Every year you can cultivate the trench to dig out any roots that are growing out of bounds.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have mine in the wrong place and am always pulling it. I like the idea with the pots and am going to do it. They are out on one side of my fish ponds. It will look nice in the pots. Great idea. Thanks Bev

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have them on the edge of a bed and will mow or weed eat right over them. I also use the weedeater to zap the dead flowers when spent - easier than a trimmer.

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

I didn't know about how they spread the first year I had them. In February we had a nice day so I was out pulling weeds and found a bunch of runners. I moved the plant that day and planted it in a pot. I have not had any trouble since then with it spreading. I am going to have to divide it now because my pot is full. When is a good time to do that. Probably not February.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm one of those gardeners who move things when I want to move them - July or Nov. I make sure they are watered well before and after I divide or move them. IF they are watered well the night before you move/divide them I have great success -they shock some but only for a couple days and if you go to pots with the divisions I would just do it and put them in a shady spot for a few days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.