Maggots in Compost Pile

Bethesda, MD

I recently added a couple of moldy oranges to my bin and I noticed maggots feasting on them. The local garden center told me not to worry about them, because maggots are fly larvae and they will just fly away after they're done growing and eating the oranges.

So, other than looking disgusting, are there any problems? What I am trying to do is compost enough stuff to fill a large pot so that I can plant a camellia in there.

If I just let the maggots live and let them eat the oranges, will they attack the camellia next year?

Thanks!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Maggots are part of the process. I'd leave them be.

Bethesda, MD

Thanks. I did a little addition of liquid nitrogen to the compost pile this evening if you know what I mean. That may drown the maggots but that's okay, they'll decompose, too!

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I would bury those oranges and any food product in the pile so they won't just breed flies and draw rodents, etc. They will also compost faster and not give off an oder if buried.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah, I bury my greens in the browns.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

That's what I do. When I take out my compost bucket I bury it in the browns. It really helps cut down on insects/ odors and gets the pile cooking faster.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.