Is this material compostable in my back yard bin?

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

We bought some fruit in one of these new cellulose containers. Does any one know if they will degrade in a backyard compost bin?
http://www.natureworksllc.com/

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I wish I knew. I wouldn't put anything with "polymer" in my bin, but that's just me.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
A biopolymer that offers more disposal options and is more environmentally friendly to manufacture than traditional petroleum-based plastics.

I wish I knew, too. I read the info on the Nature Works site, but nowhere (that I could see) did this say anything regarding "disposal options," other than the quotation above.
Hope someone can answer your question for sure.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

You might want to contact the manufacturer and ask about it. Very interesting, thanks for sharing the information.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Cellulose -- if I remember biology 101 correctly, isn't that organic? It's the "polymer" that makes me think it's some kind of I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter kind of thing. Like maybe it would break down physically but not chemically. The answer we seek is whether it would eventually be harmful.

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Interesting!

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

Update, it's still recognizable as a container but it looks very "melty".

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

For what it's worth...

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biopolymer

Biopolymers are biodegradable, and some are also compostable

Some biopolymers are biodegradable: they are broken down into CO2 and water by microorganisms. In addition, some of these biodegradable biopolymers are compostable: they can be put into an industrial composting process and will break down by 90% within 6 months. Biopolymers that do this can be marked with a 'compostable' symbol, under European Standard EN 13432 (2000). Packaging marked with this symbol can be put into industrial composting processes and will break down within 6 months (or less). An example of a compostable polymer is PLA film under 20μm thick: films which are thicker than that do not qualify as compostable, even though they are biodegradable. A home composting logo may soon be established: this will enable consumers to dispose of packaging directly onto their own compost heap. The standards for such a home composting logo have not yet been developed.

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

I wonder then if I should or shouldn't put it in the yard waste recycle pickup. I do use this compost for growing tomatoes and herbs and I wouldn't want to have this in my food if it's not good for consumption.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Hard to say. I don't think I would, but I'd hate to discourage you from it.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

They use those for dishes at the cafeteria at Longwood Gardens, then ask the patrons to throw them in the compost. I'd do it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.