How long until iris are big enough to divide

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have just received some iris from some generous people here ont his forum and I would like to know hoe long until they are big enough for me to divide and share with others?

Lebanon, OR

Depends

If they are medians they usually multiply quickly and should be able to divide next year.

If TB maybe next but if not the next.

D

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Since I do not know what they are I guess I will wait and see and in the mean time pray over them . I want them to multiply so I can share too!! :o)

Lebanon, OR

They will:)

D

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Marie...my short (2 season) experience has been that the TB's multiply much faster here than in milder climates.....I planted them the recommended distance in triangle pattern and I will have to divide several large clumps this fall.....

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Triangle pattern? I will have to see yours. :o)

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

It will be alright, I planted some new rhizomes last season and this season, they were about 1-3 inches long, some cultivars just grow tiny. I have recieved some that were about 1/2 inch long, this year they grew to about 2 inches long. Size really does not matter, I have just found that smaller tend to rot faster, so be sure to keep them in well drained soil and preferably raised beds. Before you know it you will be well on your way to trading !!!!

Cindy

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

And i find the bigger ones rot more easily in Iowa. Isn't that interesting?

I plant on raised mounds to keep them high & dry and yet be able to mulch all the other plants in the beds..

Yes, that is interesting Wanda, I just planted a tinsey winsy last week, this week it is dead. Do you have alot of humidity in Iowa? Just curious.

Extreme humidity--95 % is normal in July & August. Add that we had fully saturated soil last Fall before 54 inches of snow in our town & torential spring rains that lasted until 2 weeks ago.

Did you see us float by on the news Friday the 13th of June?

No, but did you see me helping my old neighbors evacuate their home, LOLO. Rains have been sooo bad this season. We just had another down pour 2 days ago and more in the forcast for Sunday night and Monday. Makes me wonder how this winter is going to be.
Hope you are okay from the flooding !!!!! It is a real mess. There are still people here that cannot go back into their homes in Pacific. They were actually talking about buying them out. Truthfully, you can build a levee, but if mother nature wants to get through, she will. There is a billboard alongside Hwy 70 that says " There are two types of levee's, ones that have failed and ones that will".
I kind of figured that you would be humid there as well, I just thought that since you were further North that it may not be as bad.

Cindy

The old house and the business in downtown Cedar Rapids are in a low river valley. We live on the western edge of town. Still alot of rain to run downhill thru my yard. Spent 1/2 of April-July shoveling my woodchips off the lawn!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.