Four Season Harvest

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Thought this subject needed a thread of it's own and figured this was the best forum for it. I started thinking about this after getting some ideas from the following threads: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/876869/ and http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/572040/# I don't have a root cellar, and my freezer is already pretty full. I haven't been very successful at canning and dehydrating either.

I have a 10' x 10' GH that is a metal frame with a one-piece slip on plastic cover. It has a large zipper window which will be on the west side and the large zippered door will be on the east side. Although not very big, I have been formulating a plan to extend some of my summer produce, plus grow some cool weather crops for winter.

I'll set it up so that one side of the sloped roof faces south. Haven't decide whether to set it up out in the open in the garden or set it so that the north side is against the house. I'll use bubble wrap or a solar pool cover to cover the frame before putting the cover on, then use pieces of pvc pipe between the two layers to provide an air pocket. On the north wall, possibly 2" styrofoam insulation. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets.

I have a large white tub (maybe 75 gal) that I was thinking I could fill it with water for some heat. Maybe a smaller 35 gal tub for a compost. Wondering if some planted strawbales might help with heating, too. Hastur mentioned in the link above an idea for making a pocket planter to hang. Similar to those shoe pocket organizers that hang on a closet door. Maybe on the back wall. Darius suggested potatoes in tires. That thick rubber should hold quite a bit of heat, too.

My plan is to include a couple of tomato plants, a cucumber, maybe a squash or zucchini (but they take up a lot of room, so probably won't), and some potatoes. I'll also plant greens, lettuce, peas, broccoli and whatever other ideas come up later.

Let's get to thinking of ideas to be even more sustainable!

Thumbnail by msrobin
This thread has 35 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!