Mandevilla ID

Mandeville, LA(Zone 8b)

I don't have any photos of the 2 Mandevilla types I have. I have one that vines a lot with large leaves and large flowers. The other is a bushy-type with small, shiny leaves and extremely deep red flowers. It does sent out a few vines, but remains mostly bushy. This is the one I want to identify. It is just beautiful and I had never seen it before this year when it became very popular here due to its extravagantly deep red flowers. I am just curious as I couldn't find anything on the plant files that looked like it.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Kaye C

Mandeville, LA(Zone 8b)

ecrane: As I've said before, you always come through. I think it is probably one of the Sun Parasols. I just went out and got a blossom and it looks closer to that than the Red Riding Hood as the leaves seem to be smaller on the one I have and the red on mine is deeper. It's a beautiful plant and usually the nursery where I buy a lot of my plants have the tags in the pots, but this time the 3 I got didn't have tags and I forgot to ask the lady the name because I was so blown away by the beauty of this cultivar and grabbed the last 3 before someone else could get them.

Thanks again! Keep up the good work - I can always depend on you to help a newbie.

Kaye C

Mandeville, LA(Zone 8b)

ecrane: I thought you might be interested. After a lot of research on the web and looking at the foliage and flowers on my Mandevilla, I have come to the concusion I have the Sun Parasol Mini Crimson. It says the foliage is reddish-green, which I don't see. It looks green to me. Anyway, I love them.

Kaye C.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Glad you figured it out! Foliage colors can be unreliable sometimes--they'll vary depending on how much sun the plant gets and things like that so if everything else is a match I wouldn't worry too much if the foliage color is a little different.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.