id help

(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

this is supposed to be a dutch iris . is it and does any one recognize it?thanks

Thumbnail by iris28
Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Whooohooo! What a color! Have no idea what it is tho........

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I have a blue/yellow dutch iris called Romano. Check out this link. There is another one on the market that looks just like it but I don't recall the name.

http://www.fairyscapedaylilies.com/Romano%20Iris%202.jpg

it always has this weird shape i have like 5 of them and they all have that shape . i thought it was a dwarf bearded but i dont really know what that is . i havnt done any research . they came in a pack of dutch irises .

i found this http://www.schreinersgardens.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SIGO&Product_Code=WHAT&Category_Code=DI do you think this might be it

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow that is cool looking. Love the color!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree with Marie. I love the color. I have several of them and I do not know their names either.

Thumbnail by RODICAP
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Another one. I hope that somebody has a name for yours and maybe for mine too.lol

Thumbnail by RODICAP

rodicap i have a few of that one too the last one so which type of iris is that . i searched around the web today and i cant figure out if it is a dutch or siberian iris . or dwarf . all i basically came out with was more stuff i wanted to buy

there is no color enhance on that its so bright .

where did you get yours

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I got it from a nursery in Tucson (AZ). I might be able to find the label and let you know what they are.

i got mine in a mix of dutch iris from bulbs direct

RODICAP: your yellow iris is I. danfordiae, a bulbous iris. The blue one is a Dutch iris and there are many very similar blue ones to know just which one it is.

iris28: your iris is a Dutch iris, judging from the flower and the little bit of foliage visible in your picture. It is at least similar to Romano if not Romano. If it never opens up fully, it may well be a hybridizer's reject used to fill out these "mixes of no-names" that are being sold. Just because it isn't introduced with a name doesn't mean it isn't a nice iris though! The iris in your link to Schreiners is a dwarf bearded iris that most likely blooms in April and grows to just 10 inches tall.

here is the other one . one rebloomed is that possible. and they are already doubling

Thumbnail by iris28

About the only other thing I can say about it is ... its weird!! It has sort of a "rose" in the middle.

oh i didnt even notice that the petal is stuck like it didnt split . i dont think live by a toxic waste dump

lol i actually hope they stay like that

Maybe you can propogate and sell it; become very wealthy! Please let us know if it ever opens completely with all the top petals separated.

i was looking at it today and its the same . i have 2 more that are opening ill post those too.

ok got a normal one . so this is what its supposed to look like

Thumbnail by iris28
Elgin, IL

Iris28- definately propogate!! It's different,but I think it's a little beauty. I showed it to a few friends and the common response was " Wow, what's that called? Where can I get it?" I definately would buy it if anyone can figure out what it's called.

its a deformed ramano .i think . they wernt opening all the way lol . i dont know if it will do that next year , i assume it was because it was blooming in the heat . i planted them late .but you never know . they are multiplying fast . lol id be happy to share

Elgin, IL

Just let me know when and how much, lol !

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

oh, me, too!!!

I'll pay! :0)

Dana-you just have the nicest flowers!
-Taylor

both the deformed romanos i m sure have babies , i had to move about 50 other dutch iris , they came from the same place , because i didnt like them where they were and all of them doubled .
taylor, i was going to get back to you about the sunset climber .im going to move it because its totally in the wrong place , and i was going to cut it down before moving it and ill send you all the cuttings plus a ramano if you want to do a trade again . i could never make some one pay for a deformed dutch iris . as pretty as it is lol
lolita id love to trade . it makes good stories . i love saying well that one came from california or wherever . ill check tomorrow i was going to move them to the front any way because it will be crowded by cl america if i dont

sounds terrific...I'll dmail you :0)

hi Dana-
I wanted to bring this back up...I was revisiting the photos. Wow. I had forgotten just how beautiful they were.

I sure hope the one you sent me is a "deformed" one, and not the regular blooming one :0)

So, have they bloomed this year? Any pics?
Did they bloom "normal,or deformed"?

Nosey people want to know!, lol...
-T

ps-I don't think your "normal one" and your "deformed one" are the same iris at all. They are different colors, even.

You did say you got them "mixed" right?...

the one i gave you was a baby off the deformed one in the first pic . the second pic was a different deformed one . same colors though . the third blue and yellow was a different one but in the bag of mixed dutch iris . they are growing but no blooms yet . those 2 deformed ones never did open right . i have the one in the f irst pic marked so i can watch and see if it blooms right . i planted them way late and they bloomed in july so i was thinking it was the heat . does any one know when dutch iris are supposed to bloom ? taylor is yours growing ? i hope it wasnt too dry when i sent it.

Yay! I'm so glad I got the deformed one! yipee!

Please takes pictures and post when they bloom.

Mine didn't do anything for the longest time, so I kept digging to check on it, and I was afraid I was going to lose it. I finally replanted it, and it is growing now. The foliage is very thin and spikey....not at all what I expected from an iris.

But, googled some dutch iris, and the foliage looks that way, too, so...

Currently there are two spikey strips of upright skinny green foliage spikes, and both are about 8-9 inches tall.

Is that what yours looks like?

went out and took a picture of mine so far:

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
South Hamilton, MA

Remeber that the Dutch irises don't have beards--What Again is dwarf BEARDED iris. Colors are similar to yours & the colors reminded me of what again. You don't know about names. The bulbus irises are registered with the Netherlands, the rhizomes types with AIS.

I know it isn't what again because I have that one. Like you say it has beards, but also the colors aren't right.

What again is dull dark purple S, and F are dijon mustard colored. Nothing as bright and beautiful as Dana's iris
-T

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I really like the picture of the normal bloom you got and don't know what to make of the messed up blooms. I am really going to have to get Dutch Iris. I just love them.

lol taylor im so glad its doing something . yes mine look like that too they look best in a group or planted where other folliage is around. when i first put some in i was like look mom my dutch iris came up . she said are you sure you arnt growing onions. lol and i got them by accident . my mom has this awesome clump of siberians and the lady she got them from told her they were dutch iris so i went looking for dutch iris . turns out the lady was wrong lol .
newyorkrita , they are cheap and easy to grow i like them . i got a big bag from dutchbulbs i think . they do free shipping .

Quoting:
are you sure you arnt growing onions. lol

LOL...that is about what they look like, lol...

So you think they'll flower? Or did yours stay like onions for a few years, first?

no it flowered right after it got a few leaf sets .i would think it will flower .

oh good...so maybe around July?

Can I see a picture of what YOUR foliage looks like right now?

im at moms but i will tomorrow . im tryin to find out if dwarf almonds make almonds . but i cant find it any where . i posted in the fruit -nut forum no responce yet lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.