chick day care

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Are they bantams or standards?

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

oh them are the keets, sorry.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh, sorry, I'm confused. What's a keet?

A guinea , but I am here to tell you I wont do day old keets again, I have lost 4 more now. At 2.50 a pop.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh no, I am so sorry to hear that. That's just heart breaking. Poor things, I wonder why they are so fragile? I didn't know a guinea was called a keet. I am learning so much, but I think I also just learned not to get keets!

LOL they are so tiny. I guess wait and see.

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

I ordered 10 keets from Ideal and only lost one. The others are doing just fine. They are 2 1/2 months old now and almost ready to be let out of their enclosed pen. I told DH that when we were done with this bag of feed, it was time to take the screen out of their chicken/guinea door and let them come and go like all the other chicks.

Ideal sent me 10 little roosters with them, and I am hoping that those are large enough to let run with the big guys. This will give me 1-year-olds, 4 month olds, 3 1/2 month olds, and 2 1/2 month olds. I have noticed that the different aged chicks seem to hang with their own. Hopefully they will mix after a while. At least they'd better. They are going to all be roosting in the same henhouse for the winter. This will be after I thin the flock down to the ones we are keeping.

GG

Sorry, I didnt mean to come off the way I did, I woke up this morning with a sore throut, achey I dont know. I just dont feel good, and I NEVER get sick. They are just adorable. I love them just I dont want them to die. they have settled down now, nice quiet chirps. Gosh if I went thru what they have for the past 4 days I guess I would be stressed to. Do keets change colors also, Like will the white ones stay white.

Oh great another set of spoiled birds, just gave the babies some boiled eggs. All doing good so far, outside birds are scared of the crows, I hung up a wind chime by them maybe run them crows off.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Awww, poor babies to be scared of the crows. They can be so threatening looking. My parents dog always goes crazy at the crows but she couldn't care less about the pigeons. Hopefully they won't be scared of the wind chime! LOL!

LOL When I am out there again, I will take a pic of this wind chime, my ex made it for me(we are best of friends) a few years ago for christmas present. I just love it. Na the lil chicks are not scared of it.

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

l2g2, do you have an old top and pants you don't wear anymore? I made scarecrows just by sewing a top and pants together at the waist, hanging them on a hanger and hanging the hanger around the chicken coop. I just move it every few days and we haven't been bothered by raptors since. After all, birds can't count. They must think that there is someone out there when they see the scarecrows. You do have to be able to hang it up about 5 - 6 feet so it looks kinda like a person.

GG

Awesome idea, yes I do and I will do that. Thanks

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

You are welcome. Make sure you move them regularly. We didn't last year and lost a couple hens to raptors. Found them dead in the coop. Our fault. Started moving them again and haven't seen any hawks or eagles or owls since.

GG

I usually keep one of my hubbys shirts out on a pole in the garden seemed to work

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

Same principle.

GG

I luv all them pics of your chicks Luvs. So cute

here is my redneck wind chime i promised

Thumbnail by luvs2garden2000

here is my lil buddy

another buddy

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Your redneck wind chime is hilarious. Very creative!

I love your little buddies. The black and white one is going to be very handsome. It kind of looks like a silver laced Polish.
flickr.com/photos/7305029@N04/759404876/

How are your keets?

This message was edited Jul 26, 2008 8:06 AM

This message was edited Jul 26, 2008 8:07 AM

lost one last night, and one of the white ones is hobbling around. My ex made that chime for me a few years ago, he is such a nut.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Uh oh, that doesn't sound so good. They sure are fragile. I don't know why that link isn't working to the picture of the Polish hen.

well do the laced polish have the mohowk do?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

For sure! Here's another link to a pic.

http://localfoodadventures.blogspot.com/2008/05/chicken-update.html

Scroll down to the 5th picture.

he sure does look just like that one. I have a few of them.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Maybe your light colored mohawk buddy is a buff Polish.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/Polish-B91.aspx

yea probably so, but he is dead now. Something go into the pen and killed about 30 or so, some have no feathers and some have no heads. A coon?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OMG! That is awful, awful, awful! I am so sorry for you and all your chicks. That makes me want to cry. I have no idea what does that - I am too new to this. Fox? Coon? That is tragic. How many are left? Are they all traumatized? Maybe the pen needs some kind of a roof? Oh, I feel so terrible for you.

Yes it does need a roof on one part, I have something over it but I guess what ever it was crawled under that top part there. And my loving Hubby took the drill this morning.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

h, tia i am so sorry! i lost three roos this AM while we were away breifly.... but losing chicks is TERRIBLE!

hugs...
tf

thanks, I have no clue what did it, had to have been a coon. I have some that have battle wounds but seem to be ok. I cant do anything but keep watch, hubby is on my poop list. HE has HIS own drill and he took mine. I cant work his it is to heavy and on some ratchet setting. Will urine keep the coons away.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

perhaps... also get you a red light.... blinking ones if possible.... like Chirstmas lights???

hummmmmmmmmm funny you say that, I had a dream about christmas lights last night. Not sure If I have red light or not.

My little white one is doing OK. I have 2 whites, I am so excited.

Tam I have a question, you said they need (the keets) protien, I have some canned dog food will that be ok. I cant get to town today, still fill ill. Dont know if it is just a summer cold, Mono, my cousins son has it and he was here this past weekend, or worse that tick thing.

I got 79 pullets, I checked on the keets and there was one that was not looking like a keet, she is wanting to be one tho, she will stay in with the keets for at least 2 weeks. I gave them eggs and crumble, dont have the game feed, didnt think about that. On one of the white ones that is haveing a bit of trouble getting around there is a something that is on its leg, looks like maybe the cord, its kinda redish brown, where the leg bends it is keeping it from stretching the leg, should I try to take it off, I cant see if it is still attached to anything but the leg???????????????

Gate (Rochester), WA(Zone 7b)

I need to remember to look for new posts more often. I just found this one.

My experience with coons is, they will take the whole bird if they can get to it. Generally carry it off & eat in or under a tree. Got some of my best birds that way. is there a trail of feathers leading away from their area? Or patches of feathers in other areas, like they carried it off, set it down a sec to get a better grip, then kept going?

What other predators might you have in your area? Mink, weasel? Ferrel cats? The only time mine were attacked & left were by neighbor dogs - they just wanted to play 'catch them'. Think other predators would kill for the food, not sport.

This is just horrible! You must be so heart broken. I am so sorry!
Cheryl

Yes very, I do have a mama cat, that mind you is well fed, but I did find some feathers where she has her babies. there were like 30 dead and only a few missing heads, no trace of feathers anywhere. Except where mama has her kittens and just a few, heck they could have blown in there. She doesnt mess with the chickens when they are out during the day. No we dont have minks or weasels that I know of.

Luther, MI(Zone 4b)

I just remembered something an old farmer told me years ago. It is possible an owl got into your pen. They will eat just the heads of chickens if they can get to them. I don't know if this is true, however.

GG

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.